Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

Dashboard Design - QS CSS MasterClass (video)

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dennis_Jaskowiak
Employee
Employee

Dashboard Design - QS CSS MasterClass (video)

Last Update:

Mar 3, 2021 2:02:32 PM

Updated By:

Dennis_Jaskowiak

Created date:

Mar 2, 2021 11:14:06 AM

Attachments

Welcome to the QS CSS MasterClass.

Motivation:

In my career as a PreSales, I need to create quite a few "user-appealing-applications". Sometimes users request a specific design or specific functions I need to implement in Qlik Sense. As we all know, Qlik Sense is built for simplicity & self-service and sometimes it could be challenging to achieve the desired result. But through the last couple of years, there were a lot of tips and tricks around using CSS to create completely new designs and functions to implement a better information design concept.

This is where the MasterClass starts. I have created an application that gathers a couple of these tricks and explains them more in detail. In addition to that, it is very easy to understand because you can see the result directly within a Qlik Sense App. If you think this sounds interesting, take a couple of minutes and join my short tour through the app. I won't cover all aspects in detail. This tour will give you an overview of the documented and used tricks within the app.

Content:

The following list will give you a brief overview of what topics are focused on the specific sheet within the app.

SheetDescription

Types of CSS implementationTypes of CSS implementation

You can add CSS definitions to your app by using themes or by using so-called "helper- objects". On this sheet, I will explain when you should use which option.
Hide (Helper-) ObjectsHide (Helper-) ObjectsA "helper-object" carries and injects the CSS definition on a specific sheet. This sheet helps you to hide this object and which objects can be used for it.

Colored Area BackgroundColored Area Background

This example demonstrates how to add better guidance to your dashboards by segmenting your background.

Filter Pane HighlightingFilter Pane Highlighting

Sometimes selections can be mandatory to consume a dashboard, or the creator likes to guide the user through the filter pane by using colored filter boxes. I show you how.
Hiding Button/OptionsHiding Button/OptionsHow to hide objects like the selection bar or elements within context-menus in case these functions shouldn't be used in the app or on this sheet? 
Using Background PicturesUsing Background PicturesAdding background-pictures to your dashboard can spice up the overall flavor of your dashboards. This can be used for segmentation or just to add some style.
Table modificationsTable modificationsIn this section, we will completely change the look and feel of a straight- and pivot table. 
Moving  ObjectsMoving ObjectsLet's create an illusion by just moving our objects closer together. After that, I'll look like we just have one.
Changing standard fontsChanging standard fontsThis sheet explains the easiest way to implement your own font by using a custom theme. It's just a few lines of code.
Custom Grid LayoutCustom Grid LayoutNo matching grid? This trick shows you how to create your own grid for a specific sheet by changing the metadata through Qlik Engine API Explorer.

Installation:

Under "Attachments" you can find the required package. The zip package includes a qvf file (Qlik Sense - CSS MasterClass V 1.0.qvf) and an extension (ShowHTMLfromMeasure). After importing the extension and app we need to change a quick configuration because the app has a different ID on your system now.

Open sheet called "Using Background Pictures". Normally this sheet has a background image. This gets referenced over the internal app-ID. Click on "Edit Sheet" and select the displayed CSS box ("CSS config HERE"). Navigate to submenu "Styles" and change the used app-ID in "Styles (CSS)" to your app-ID (displayed in the URL). Now you should see a background picture on this sheet.

app id.png

Usage:

Every sheet has the same structure. First, a description explains the trick in general and how it's working. On most of the sheets, you also get the explanation for the used CSS selectors. On the right-hand side, you can see the used code in a black code box. You can't copy the code from here. To do so enter the "edit-mode" and click on the "CSS config HERE" button. This object is always the "Helper-object" that carries the used and explained CSS code. Navigate to the "Styles" submenu and copy the code from the "Styles (CSS)" window. I recommend using an external editor to modify or review the CSS code.

In case you like to transfer the trick to your dashboard you just need to change the object ID. If you don't know how to find the object ID this will be explained on sheet "Hide (Helper-) Objects".

Comments
ingoginqo
Partner Ambassador Alumni
Partner Ambassador Alumni

Great post, thank you Dennis!

Dennis_Jaskowiak
Employee
Employee

Thank you very much. Hope this will help to spread some CSS integration into many other Qlik Sense applications.

marcginqo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Very nice, really love the simple explanation and the examples. Will definitely give it a try!!

mfarsln
Creator II
Creator II

Great post! Thank you.

0 Likes
rarpecalibrate
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks for sharing. Very useful!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Dennis_Jaskowiak 

It would be easier if someone at Qlik could publish a diagram for common objects in Qlik Sense, similar to the following diagram, but with table object for example, just to know exactly which area we are working with or need to work with.

land_0-1615227537055.png

source: https://www.tutorialwithexample.com/2020/04/html-layout.html

Some of the new features, like hiding the options to expand, could already be done from css, but it wasn't very known I think.

rarpecalibrate
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous,

In case you weren't aware, you can use the Qlik theme APIs to control the look of each object - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/February2021/Subsystems/Extensions/Content/Sense_Extensions/CustomThemes/custom-themes-getting-started.htm?

Ryan Arpe 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @rarpecalibrate,

I know how to do that, but I mean customize even each header cell of a table (which cannot be parameterized as it is individual for each development and even for each object), I could do that before they realease that option, but for all headers not just specific column.

somdakay
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Thank you for this Masterclass @Dennis_Jaskowiak . This is brilliant.

Here is my attempt.... Works like a charm. 
Question : How can I  change the Font Color of the KPI objects. (Note: Their current color is defined in the Master Items).

somdakay_0-1615530419173.png

StefanoC
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Thanks for sharing, very useful and interesting 

Contributors
Version history
Last update:
‎2021-03-03 02:02 PM
Updated by: