Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.

Generating AND, OR , NOT selection logic in Qlik Sense

No ratings
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

Generating AND, OR , NOT selection logic in Qlik Sense

Last Update:

Aug 13, 2015 12:17:39 PM

Updated By:

JonnyPoole

Created date:

Aug 13, 2015 12:17:39 PM

Attachments

'AND mode' is an out of box feature in QlikView whereby a QlikView developer a list box in a QlikView application to use 'AND mode' rather than the default 'OR mode'.

In Qlik Sense, its not there out of box in the same way, but some minor SET ANALYSIS expression syntax can create the right context on a chart to show the output in an "AND" context.

Attached is a self contained application that demonstrates the technique.

Please also refer to these screenshots:

Here is the sample data... notice that Skill 'A' ,'B', and 'C' is associated only with User '1'.  But User '1', '2', and '3' are collectively associated (OR mode) with the 'A','B', and 'C' set of skills

AndMode1.PNG

I have created an educational UI in the app to show how the default 'OR' mode chart contrasts with an 'AND' mode technique

AndMode2.PNG

When i select Skills  'A', 'B' , and 'C' ... notice that the AND mode chart shows only User '1'.

But the OR mode chart shows Users '1', '2', and '3'

AndMode3.PNG

The OR mode expression is:   count (distinct Skills)

The measure expression on the AND mode is modified to the following.

Basically it filters the result to show only users where the unique number of skills associated to them is equivalent to the number of distinct skills selections in the UI.

AndMode4.PNG

hope it helps !

Version 2-3 update:  Just added a  NOT mode tab where you can combine AND with NOT and see a list of users with all the skills selected but exluding users who already have one or more skills selected from a different list.  Full description below in the comments.

Comments
ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi BogMgit, 

Thanks for correcting Jonny's script. It works great! His script appears to be designed for use with one (target) field for one chart. I have 50 (target) product attribute fields! I can apply Jonny's script with your correction to each field, they work fine, but, as you might expect, each chart in which the target field appears is silo'd.

Are you working with more than one field and by chance merging the fields? if yes, can you share how you do this?

Oliver

ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III

The script appears to work with multiple fields simply by intersecting "*" the scripts of each respective field. For example, here's how Jonny's script with the "Skills" field looks with a 2nd field, "State"; if anyone has a better approach, please weigh in: 

if(getselectedcount(Skills)>0 and getselectedcount(NotSkills) > 0,

count( distinct {<User={"=aggr(count(distinct Skills),User)=getselectedcount(Skills)"}> - <User= p( {1<Skills={$(=vNotSkills)}>} User)  >}  Skills) 

if(getselectedcount(Skills) > 0 ,

count( distinct {<User={"=aggr(count(distinct Skills),User)=getselectedcount(Skills)"}> }  Skills) ,

if(getselectedcount(NotSkills) > 0 ,

count( distinct {<User -= p( {1<Skills={$(=vNotSkills)}>} User)  >}  Skills) ,

count(distinct Skills)
        )
    )
)

if(getselectedcount(State)>0 and getselectedcount(NotState) > 0,

count( distinct {<User={"=aggr(count(distinct State),User)=getselectedcount(State)"}> - <User= p( {1<State={$(=vNotSkills)}>} User)  >}  State) 

if(getselectedcount(State) > 0 ,

count( distinct {<User={"=aggr(count(distinct State),User)=getselectedcount(State)"}> }  State) ,

if(getselectedcount(NotState) > 0 ,

count( distinct {<User -= p( {1<State={$(=vNotState)}>} User)  >}  State) ,

count(distinct State)
        )
    )
)

0 Likes
ogatchell
Contributor III
Contributor III

Does Jonny's solution preclude the use of OR logic in the chart, which displays output of AND and NOT selections? 

In Qlikview, Qlik executes AND and NOT logic operation in a single list box. A user can apply AND logic, NOT logic or both in this box. In addition, this box and a standard OR logic list box can be placed side-by-side, and selections made in either box. In other words, OR, AND and NOT logic can be applied to the same field. While AND and NOT logic selections may remove selection previously made or preclude OR selections subsequently made, OR selections are still be possible. In other words, AND and NOT selections do not necessarily preclude OR selections. 

Whereas, Jonny's script operates with separate AND and NOT logic filter panes (list boxes); and, the "AND" list box is actually a standard OR logic list box; but, it operates as an AND list box within the chart that displays the output of the AND and NOT selections. 

To answer my question, I think it does preclude the use of OR logic in the chart. But please correct me if this is wrong.

Btw, how can Qlik Sense reasonably support human thought in Natural Language Processing if a user can't exercise OR, AND and NOT logic at will in the selection of field values?

Version history
Last update:
‎2015-08-13 12:17 PM
Updated by: