Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elodie_blondel
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Accesspoint - Display red message information only during maintenance time

Hello,

I've been experiencing an issue with the Qlik's tool permiting me to display a custom message on the top of my accesspoint.

I'm talking about this message :

elodie_blondel_0-1639991701900.png

I was wondering if there was a way to make this message appears only when the Qlikview server's service is down, which means, the app is currently on maintenance.

Thank you

Regards,

Fabrice P

Labels (1)
  • Other

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @elodie_blondel !

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The "Custom system message" is not an error message. It's "a custom system message to be presented in the QlikView AccessPoint", regardless of the current server status.

A typical usage is to alert users in advance that there will be a planned outage.

The error that will appear when the server is down is always "No server". If a custom system message is defined in the QlikView Management Console (QMC), it will be appended to the "No Server" message.

Daniele_Purrone_0-1641282427752.png

So, you are able to inform users that the server is down due to a planned outage, but you'll have to do it manually.
The system will always display the custom message (which, by itself is not an error message) once it's entered in the QMC. It will just add "No Server" (the error message) when the server is actually down. This is how the product is designed.

If you have a planned outage you can:

1. alert users a few days in advance by adding the custom message
  2. once the server is down, you can edit the message to something like "this is a planned outage and it will end at HH:MM, no need to call IT and report this". Which will appear after the "No Server" error.
  3. at the end of the outage, you will need to remove the message.

If the server goes down for other reasons (e.g., an incident) you can still edit the message and add something like "we are aware of this issue and working on having the system restored, no need to contact IT" (or something that you like), which, again, will appear after "No Server". Once the problem is solved, you'll have to manually remove the message in the QMC.

I hope this clarifies it!

Should you feel that an improvement around this area is needed, please suggest and idea to our product team, so that they can investigate it. 

Have a happy new year!

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@elodie_blondel

The error is shown by the WebServer if it can't contact the server. I don't think there is any way for the webserver to determine for what reason the server is down.

marcus_sommer

By the first releases of QV 10 we made such a customized message which was controlled by an Excel file. I don't remember exactly the details but I think an Excel macro wrote then the content as a html-statement within a text-file which was then included within the website from the access point.

We didn't do it to show the users any maintenance (usually there is nothing to maintain in regard to the server services - you may sometime need a restart for the services and/or the machine which is nowadays mostly very fast) else to display some essential data-issues (we had at this time a re-structure from some company-parts with various changes to the ERP systems and the reporting and the first months it was not as stable as expected).

After that we disabled this opportunity again because it was more a workaround as a nice solution - it are unsupported changes and you need to save your origin files and the changed ones and replace everything again by each new release.

Compared with the efforts just to add any global-displayed information directly within the QMC it's a quite heavy and complicated task. If any data-related messages or information from the server vital sign and/or workload should be made available I would collect them within one or more specialized applications within the access point and teaching the users where to find which information.

- Marcus

elodie_blondel
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hello,

The problem is not about the message's content.

In fact, the message is shown constantly on the accesspoint, even if there is no problem.

From the moment you configure the custom message on QMC then it appears h24 on the accesspoint.

My question was if it was possible to show the message only when the web server can't contact the server, and not if everything is okay.

Regards

elodie_blondel
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hello,

Thank for the reply.

But my question was more about how to display the message only when the qlikview server's service is down.

Because from the moment i configure a custom message on the QMC, it appears h24 on the accesspoint, even if all the services are up

Regards,

Fabrice Pery

Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @elodie_blondel : when the QVS is down, users should see the standard "Message: No Server" in a red banner.

There is no way to distinguish between planned and unplanned unavailability. Maybe you'd like to suggest an idea on the matter? 

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@elodie_blondel

The banner on the AccessPoint should only show when the webserver can't reach the QVS. 

Can you use the AccessPoint and open documents when the services are running but the banner is there?

BTW What version of QlikView are you using?

marcus_sommer

AFAIK this shouldn't happens. Please provide some more information about your environment like the used releases, clustered system yes/no and when how, which kind of webserver is used? Further are there any customizations applied to the websites or changed configurations in regard to the default-values within the QMC or directly in the config-files?

Beside this did you try to clear the browser-cache and/or what happens if you accessed with another browser? If not you should try it.

- Marcus

elodie_blondel
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hello,

I just configured a test message as an example.

I set up my custom system message here : 

elodie_blondel_0-1640078403861.png

And then, after applying the change, the accesspoint shows a red box containing my custom message, all the time even if everything works on the server.

elodie_blondel_1-1640078482187.png

I'm using QV 12

Regards

marcus_sommer

As far as there is any message-entry within the qmc the access point will show this message regardless if there any errors with the services or not. So what happens if you remove this test message again?

- Marcus