Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sterno14
Contributor II
Contributor II

Allow Dynamic CAL Assignment

Hello,

We currently assign a Document CAL specific to a user. So I have 50 Document CALS and I have each one assigned to a user. We want to use the "Allow Dynamic CAL Assignment" setting. Do we need to delete the assignments already created in order to allow this to work? 

hank you for your help.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

If you already have all 50 CALs assigned, then enabling dynamic assignment won't do anything as there will be no CALs available to assign.

If you remove the current assignment, the CALs will be assigned to the next 50 user/document combinations. Once they are assigned, they will stay assigned until you manually remove assignments again.

From the documentation:

If this option is used, a new document CAL will automatically be granted to a user connecting to this QlikView Server for the first time, as long as there are available document CALs to assign. To allow the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, tick this check box. To deny the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, untick this check box.

View solution in original post

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @sterno14,

See article How to assign a document CAL in QlikView Management Console?  Dynamic CAL assignment works in a first come, first served fashion, so that end users who are authorized to open QVWs on the AccessPoint will be dynamically assigned a Doc CAL for that QVW.  Also review article Quarantine Period For Named User And Document CALs. Unassigning Document CALs places those CALs into quarantine for 7 days.  

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!

Or
MVP
MVP

Yes, but it sounds like you might be under the impression that the CALs will somehow free up. They won't - once you've used your 50, nobody else will be able to get a CAL until you manually remove existing assignments. After that, however many CALs you manually removed will be assigned to the next group of users who attempt to log in. So, if you had more users than CALs, once the first 50 users have taken up a CAL, nobody else will get a CAL until you manually take steps to clear them.

11 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

If you already have all 50 CALs assigned, then enabling dynamic assignment won't do anything as there will be no CALs available to assign.

If you remove the current assignment, the CALs will be assigned to the next 50 user/document combinations. Once they are assigned, they will stay assigned until you manually remove assignments again.

From the documentation:

If this option is used, a new document CAL will automatically be granted to a user connecting to this QlikView Server for the first time, as long as there are available document CALs to assign. To allow the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, tick this check box. To deny the QlikView Server to assign CALs to any user that opens the document, untick this check box.

sterno14
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks. So if I remove the assignments it would be essentially like starting over? I could then use the Dynamic CAL assignment. But I would still have to have the users in the assigned list?

Hope that makes sense.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @sterno14,

See article How to assign a document CAL in QlikView Management Console?  Dynamic CAL assignment works in a first come, first served fashion, so that end users who are authorized to open QVWs on the AccessPoint will be dynamically assigned a Doc CAL for that QVW.  Also review article Quarantine Period For Named User And Document CALs. Unassigning Document CALs places those CALs into quarantine for 7 days.  

Best Regards

Or
MVP
MVP

All Dynamic CAL Assignment does, basically, is hand out an available CAL to anyone who accesses a document (in this case, it would hand out one CAL per user per document accessed, so one user might take up multiple CALs if you have multiple documents). If you want to remove a CAL assignment you'll still need to do it manually (or set up API to do it). This is helpful if you don't want to deal with assigning the CALs manually for new users, but if it were me, I wouldn't bother setting up the dynamic assignment for 50 CALs and would just do it manually.

sterno14
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you all. Can we have more users than Document CALS and the CALS are assigned to whoever gets there first?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

I'm not following your question.  Once you have allocated all of your Doc CALs, then no more users would receive one if they attempted to open the QVW on the AccessPoint. 

Best Regards

Or
MVP
MVP

Yes, but it sounds like you might be under the impression that the CALs will somehow free up. They won't - once you've used your 50, nobody else will be able to get a CAL until you manually remove existing assignments. After that, however many CALs you manually removed will be assigned to the next group of users who attempt to log in. So, if you had more users than CALs, once the first 50 users have taken up a CAL, nobody else will get a CAL until you manually take steps to clear them.

sterno14
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you. That I believe answers the issue. Looks like we will need to manage the CAL assignments. We have many users who only access the document infrequently and can use those CALs for others. If we manually remove a CAL is that subject to to the 7 day quarantine?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @sterno14,

Yes, if a Document CAL is removed from a user, the CAL is subject to 7 day quarantine.  In addition to the previous articles I provided, see also Overview of CAL Types and Document CAL Restrictions.

Best Regards