cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devbaghda
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlikView - May 2021 IR fails to start after installation

QlikView - May 2021 IR fails to start after installation. It literally does nothing. 

the log file updates wtih the following :

20210930T143659.284+0300 Invalid parameter handler set
20210930T143659.286+0300 ComputerName is [my_computer_name]
20210930T143659.286+0300 Engine Version is 12.60.20100+2021-09-14 11:22:27+acd9be2
20210930T143659.396+0300 Locale(s) set
20210930T143659.931+0300 QHeap initialized
20210930T143659.931+0300 Running in desktop mode
20210930T143659.934+0300 Initiating server license.
20210930T143659.936+0300 Initiating ExtEngine.
20210930T143659.937+0300 Initialization complete.

Anyone can help on this?

Labels (1)
  • Other

14 Replies
marcus_sommer

Which version did you run before? Maybe you switched not on this 12.6 IR release else trying a 12.5 SR3 / SR4 release just to check a few possibilities and to reduce the variance of possible causes.

Did anything else also change on your machine - any (major) updates from the OS or in regard to a security tool or changes to any system-settings, for example to the region settings?

Noticeable is the first entry of your shown log of:

... Invalid parameter handler set ...

which might be caused from any conflicts in regard to the used/available charsets or region settings (your previous language was Russian and maybe it struggled with any Cyrillic chars) and/or that there is any access issue to the region setting, the registry or something else which is probably tried a few times before it comes to a timeout and QV closed again.

Maybe the resource-monitor or even the process-monitor could here provide more hints what happens. Further helpful maybe also other log-files like the security logs from OS and any security tools.

- Marcus 

devbaghda
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@marcus_sommer I haven't used QV before.  I am now taking some practical course in data analysis and getting to know QV is a part of it.  The same day I installed ODBC driver pack, Dbeaver , Net Framework and a couple of days before this Postgres and Pentaho. Those are all major changes to my system. 

I noticed the 'Invalid parameter handler set' as well, but had no clue what might cause that error.  I went through OS security logs and found nothing coming out at the particular moment when I run Qv.  

Give me, please,  some more information on resource-monitor and  process-monitor. What and where should I look at? 

marcus_sommer

I haven't used the process-monitor yet - I just know from reading that you could monitor the happenings on an atomic level but AFAIK you will need a deeper knowledge on the windows infra-structure to get any useful output. The resource-monitor isn't so heavy but my experiences here are quite small because I didn't used it often - mostly to find the process which accessed any file and locked it. I think the usage of both monitors will be quite expensive and should be therefore rather considered as worst-case method.

The log-entry and the occurring error is something which I would relate to a wrong installation-package like installing the server-version on the desktop or reverse or installing a 32bit release on a 64bit OS or something similar. AFAIK the last shouldn't be possible because all versions are nowadays on 64bit. Nevertheless take a look on this and also if you chose any customized options during the installation like not installing into C:\Program Files\ or restricting the use for certain users. Further try it like above mentioned with another older release of QlikView to exclude that there are any new bugs within the new IR release.

Another thought goes to the access rights - just try to start QlikView as admin to exclude missing access rights from QlikView and also to further resources like the net-frame-work (maybe there was such restriction).

Also I would try to exclude any conflicts with other tools on your machine and starting it within the safe mode. Further you may consider to disable some of the windows security tools / measures - just to see if it has any impact (before this you should cut all connections to any network to work completely offline).

- Marcus

marcus_sommer

Just saw there is also a new release available: 

QlikView May 2021 Service Release - Qlik Community - 1842533

- Marcus

devbaghda
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@marcus_sommer and @Chip_Matejowsky  thanks for your efforts. Eventually Windows reset helped me. I believe there was something wrong in registry, because it seemed like something crashing after launch. Now it works properly and I'm adding program after program and checking if it influences the QV launch or not.