Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_Mulholland
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView desktop May 2022 SR1 requiring admin privileges after upgrade.

We had Qlikview desktop May 2021 installed on a Dev server with  Qlikview enterprise server where several developers logged into to use for app development.  We upgraded server and desktop to May 2022 SR1.  The server is fine.  However, when other users login and run the desktop app it tries to install the app and requires admin privileges to complete the install and then denies access when the users are local admins on the server.  Any ideas?  

J_Mulholland_0-1676068196365.png

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Frank_S
Support
Support

In fact @J_Mulholland that Event log message is the smoking gun that does indicate restrictive policy setting preventing your account from installing. If you try installing the QV desktop on your home computer for example, it is unlikely you will see this event log message.

In the meantime, you can als try to use the run as command on the file. So do the following:
1. First, unblock the file (if it is blocked by windows)

unblock.PNG

2. Right click on the file and 'run as administrator'

If that doesn't work, you'll need an 'administrator' in your network to install it for you.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

J_Mulholland
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks @Frank_S   we found that the issue is with the start menu shortcut.   By going to the file location of the start menu shortcut, right clicking > Properties > compatibility tab, by checking 'run as administrator' resolved the issue.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Good afternoon,

This sounds like it could be a domain policy issue that is restricting users from installing locally.

As a first step, I suggest reaching out to your network admins and show them this error and have them look into recent newly applied, restrictive changes to domain policy that may be causing this.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @J_Mulholland,

I agree with @Frank_S. The system requirements for QlikView Desktop May 2022 doesn't list any Administrator user requirement and I am not able to replicate your experience in my lab environment - a non-admin user can successfully launch and use QV Desktop.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
J_Mulholland
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks @Frank_S  and @Chip_Matejowsky .  I was thinking the same as well.    My server admins believe its an issue with the app based on the event logs below.  I'm going to do an uninstall / reinstall to be sure.  If the problem persists, I can press them again on GP or security policy.

J_Mulholland_0-1676341022618.jpeg

Frank_S
Support
Support

In fact @J_Mulholland that Event log message is the smoking gun that does indicate restrictive policy setting preventing your account from installing. If you try installing the QV desktop on your home computer for example, it is unlikely you will see this event log message.

In the meantime, you can als try to use the run as command on the file. So do the following:
1. First, unblock the file (if it is blocked by windows)

unblock.PNG

2. Right click on the file and 'run as administrator'

If that doesn't work, you'll need an 'administrator' in your network to install it for you.

Kind regards...

J_Mulholland
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks @Frank_S   we found that the issue is with the start menu shortcut.   By going to the file location of the start menu shortcut, right clicking > Properties > compatibility tab, by checking 'run as administrator' resolved the issue.  

Frank_S
Support
Support

Perfect! @J_Mulholland  

Thanks for sharing your solution with the community!

Kind regards..

aninkovic
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to us - after upgrade to QlikView desktop May 2022 SR2 identical issue occurred.  So instead of updating that shortcut with combability options checked, we actually replaced the whole short cut with one from (your drive \"Program Files\Qlikview\qv.exe") . This way none of the users need to make changes individually when they log in to the server - they can just click on the shortcut like they used