Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Huiying
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

QlikView desktop keeps crashing operating system

Hi
We use QlikView 2018November SR1 version. 

We use 2 machines to run QlikView desktop version and lease license from QVS nodes.

It has been a long time, we found that QlikView desktop crashes operating system and causes server reboot automatically.

To resolve the issue, we have tried different method:
1. apply CPU affinity
2. increase RAM
3. change the machine to the one with highest CPU power.

But it seems nothing helps.

Could you help to understand what is the root cause? What is a good way to prevent server crash?
To my understanding, OS shouldn't crash because of any software, right?
And we run only QlikView desktop on the machines....

Best regards,

Susan

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Can you elaborate on when exactly the OS crashes and what the Windows Event Viewer shows happening just before the crash?

To that extent, do the release notes of the latest version (April 2019 SR1 build 12.40.20100) mention anything with regards to crashing or resource exhaustion that could apply to your environment?

The OS can crash with any software if said software (Qlik or else) demands more resources than the computer can provide. Say you have a file 20GB big, which could be enough to collapse your 16GB RAM computer or a very heavy calculation clogging the CPU for a period of time enough to leave the OS unresponsive. If that is the case, try "Open Without Data" from the start page.

Note that QlikView will take as much as the computer can provide, so if there are several applications open of considerable size and the OS does not "complain" (e.g.: it starts paging to hard disk) QlikView will keep "asking".

Also note that in most cases and by default, QVW files are compressed, when open in any computer, QVWs will require more disk (at least temporarily, particularly during reloads) and more RAM.

Using the Task Manager as a first troubleshooting step should help also in understanding what is consuming the resources and when, if that's what the error actually causes.

If it's a different issue, and happens without any QVW open, or only when reloading (and size/complexity is not the problem),  or CPU, disk and RAM utilization are low, contact Qlik Support and provide as much details as you can, such as logs (including Windows), other software installed running in the background (such as antivirus or backup, VPN, etc.) and the Qlik server license you are using.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Susan, I would update to SR3 of November 2018 as well, but Miguel is correct, I would expect all the reloads are sucking up the available physical memory which is causing the OS to have to swap virtual memory to disk, which as we all know is going to pretty much kill the performance and if by chance the server totally taps out all virtual memory (physical + disk page file allocation), that will definitely result in an OS crash...  You likely need  to have the techs put resource monitor on memory on the server to determine things, but in this case, the Windows System Event Viewer log will likely also have an entry related to memory exhaustion in it...  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.