Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview upgrade 2019 SR1 12.40.20100 to May 2024 IR 12.90.20200

Hello,

i'm upgrading laptop and i'm using qlikview desktop (personal).

I have 2 .qvw files that i've created and wish to keep using on my new laptop (so i should be within the 4 doc limits of the personal edition).

I'm trying to open 1 file on the new laptop, but seems qlikview is "hanging" for a while.... Is there something else i should do to migrate / upgrade my docs to the latest version ?

old laptop: Qlikview 2019 SR1 12.40.20100

new laptop: Qlikview May 2024 IR 12.90.20200

Thank you so much !

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I can no longer do a video as i've already fixed the issue by simply creating a new document first (just after doing the installation).

The issue seems to be that i don't have any available slot to change the user key but the program didn't tell me that UNTIL i create first a document on the new computer. Only after that, when i try to open my old document i have the "failed to load" message.

So now i recreate my documents from scratch on the new laptop

View solution in original post

16 Replies
marcus_sommer

The application or any popup-window may open on the outside of your screen. Therefore try to enforce to display everything on the main-screen or go to your user-profile (usually here):

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView

and rename the settings.ini to XXX_settings.ini.

QlikView creates a new one with the default windows-positions for all kind of windows as well as everything else with the defaults. It's not mandatory a fully sufficient solution because you may want to keep various of your settings but you should get a general access to the tool which proves that only the window is on the outside or hidden in any way.

Later you may adjust your origin settings.ini by removing the various window-pos entries which are usually not very important for the most users.

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@Cyriltra 

You can have more than 4 documents, but you can only move them between computer 4 times. 

After changing to the new laptop you should get a question if you want to change owner of the document. After that the document should open normally. There are more info on this in the help

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2024/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/QlikView_Personal...

Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi,

i did this, then when i try to open my document i can see the window to set the language. But after that, the program is still hanging.

There are no other window asking me to change the key or else.

Below is what i have when i open the document and qlikview becomes unresponsive.

I will try to open a version of my document without any data see if that helps. Otherwise, i will work with my IT to downgrade to an earlier Qlikview version.

Cyriltra_0-1724894171531.png

Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The issue is there is no window asking me to change the owner of the document. The program is simply freezing. OI wonder if it's because i build it under 12.40v and try to now open it with 12.90v

Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

So i try with older versions and it's the same. So probably related to my config. Is there any log or anything i can check to understand what is wrong ? I dont see myself recreating my 2 documents...... Thank you

i'm using Windows 11

marcus_sommer

I interpret the results of your measurements that there is really a window waiting of an answer from you. Many of the QlikView windows will be closed by clicking on the ESC key - it's of course not a direct solution but if you could afterwards click on any other button, for example to close QlikView and it worked it would prove that the mentioned window exists and isn't blocked by anything.

I suggest you close each other application and then looking again if you could detect the window directly and/or by playing with the various OS display settings and/or with a second/third monitor (multi-monitor settings could be sometimes tricky).

Beside this you could disconnect the laptop from any network and re-starting the machine within the secured mode and then starting QlikView - does anything change?

Another reason for such behaviour might be that your user hasn't the proper rights to read/change/write the settings.ini or any essentiell library/registry part. This may not occur by the installation with an admin-account respectively by providing admin-rights but your normal user might be restricted by any group policy rules and/or if your user-profile is not really kept on the local machine else is within onedrive or has a cloud-synchronization. It shouldn't be very hard for your IT guys to check the profil/access-rights matter.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @Cyriltra,

Following up on @marcus_sommer and @Maria_Halley posts, you can try clearing the [WindowPOS] info from the QlikView Desktop Settings.ini file located in %Users%\<username>\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView.  Doing so should reset the position of QV Desktop application on the display. 

1. Make a backup of the Settings.ini file
  2. Open the Settings.ini file in a text editor such as Notepad++
  3. Scroll down until you see [Window POS] section & delete the entries in this section
  4. Save the Settings.ini file
  5. Relaunch QV Desktop and try again

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hello Marcus,

there is no window

I reset the settings.ini file and when i open qlikview i can see it creates a new one. And i see a window to select the language, but after that qlikview becomes again "not responding" (as shown in the window title) and nothing happens, just a the screenshot i showed above and with a "loading" cursor. When i close the qlikview program (by clicking on the Red cross), i have the regular windows message "qlikview is not responding" - Close the program or wait for the program to respond.

I do not think the window that warn me to change the user key or license is showing at all. I tried alt-tab, Win-tab, manually minimize other program etc. I also tried to press ESC or ENTER or SPACE bar.

Next Monday, i will ask my IT to log in my laptop as ADMIN, see if with elevated rights it can work.

Meanwhile, is there any log maybe i can check to understand what is going on ? Or maybe run qlikview in command line to get something out of it than just an unresponsive window ?

Thank you

Cyriltra
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Chip, there is no window, the program becomes just unresponsive when i open it (see my detailed answer to Marcus just above). Is there any log i can check maybe ?

Thank you