Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pablomind
Creator
Creator

Section Access using two fields at the same time

Hi everybody,

I have a question. My database model has a fact table, a bridge table which I use for the two fields section access and it works perfectly fine, I also have an INLINE table that is not connected to anything where I specified roles for the users with different flags so I can choose which tab or objets they can see or not. So when I add the new field to the section access that only exists in the inline table my security works unstable. Can someone please explain me why I cant do this and which would be the right way to do it?

This is the script Im using in the dashboard for the section access:

LET vL.TableName='ACCESO_DATOS';
SECTION ACCESS;

ACCESO_DATOS:

LOAD UPPER(ACCESS) AS ACCESS,
UPPER(NTNAME) AS NTNAME,
UPPER([PAIS]&'|'&[SOCIEDAD]) as KEY_ACCESSO, //this field connects to the bridge table and the fact table
UPPER (USUARIO) AS USUARIO // this is the new field that I connect to the INLINE table

FROM
[$(vG.QVDPath)\$(vL.TableName).qvd] (qvd);

SECTION APPLICATION;

Regards,

Pablo

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stoyan_Terziev
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Pablo,

When you are creating entries in your SA that only link to your data island INLINE table, you are also adding Null() values to the attributes which link to your reporting Model in general. This is tightly connected to the "Strict Exclusion" setting in your model, which I presume is not clicked. You can check it to see how your security handles Null()s.

My recommendations to get your issue resolved:

1. Make sure each combination of values in your 'Bridge' table is reflected in your section access to avoid filtering data for all users.

2. Make sure neither fields in your Bridge table contain Null() values.

3. No Null values in the Section access too. If you have to add entries for custom visuals - add them in your INLINE table instead (which I'd recommend you put in external source for ease of configuration).

4. Make sure instead of using the '*' to link to all possible values, have them all explicitly listed

5. Your desired model structure should look like this:

image.png

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

S.T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stoyan_Terziev
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Pablo,

When you are creating entries in your SA that only link to your data island INLINE table, you are also adding Null() values to the attributes which link to your reporting Model in general. This is tightly connected to the "Strict Exclusion" setting in your model, which I presume is not clicked. You can check it to see how your security handles Null()s.

My recommendations to get your issue resolved:

1. Make sure each combination of values in your 'Bridge' table is reflected in your section access to avoid filtering data for all users.

2. Make sure neither fields in your Bridge table contain Null() values.

3. No Null values in the Section access too. If you have to add entries for custom visuals - add them in your INLINE table instead (which I'd recommend you put in external source for ease of configuration).

4. Make sure instead of using the '*' to link to all possible values, have them all explicitly listed

5. Your desired model structure should look like this:

image.png

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

S.T.

rubenmarin

Hi Pablo, you can try loading KEY_ACCESSO and USUARIO from ACCESO_DATOS as an application table so your inline table will end connected in the same model.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Pablo, below are some links that should help you better understand how things work.  In the first one, it is from the Design Blog area on the Community, there are also a few other related links, the dynamic reduction ones are the others you definitely want to read through there too.  The other link is to the Help area, hopefully between the two, things will make sense to you.  

One other thing you can do to help work through things is comment out the Section Access line only, this will then load your Section Access table as a visible table into the rest of the data model making it a bit easier to try to troubleshoot what is wrong...

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/A-Primer-on-Section-Access/ba-p/1465766

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Security.htm

Hopefully this helps.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.