Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using x86 ODBC drivers in QlikView 9 Server x64

In version 8.5 QlikView Server and QlikView Publisher Standard Edition were two separate applications, this is changed in the latest QlikView release (9).
For a client we are loading data from a data source that only offers 32-bits (x86) connectivity through a ODBC driver. Unfortunately there is no 64-bits driver available for this data source. At this moment we are using the x86 version of QV Publisher SE 8.5 and the x64 version of QV Server 8.5 together on a 64-bits operating system to perform all necesary reloads and provide all users access to all QlikView documents through the ActiveX web plugin. The 64-bits operating system and QV sever are necesary to get the required performance, without having to deal with the memory-limit of 32-bits operating systems.

This works perfect but we still would like to upgrade to QV 9 because QV 9 offers serveral new functions that are very interesting and we really need those..

Is there a possibility to perform a reload using a 32-bits ODBC driver on QlikView Server 9 x64? Or is it possbile to install QV Server x64 to provide access to QV documents and QV Server x86 to reload several document on the same system and OS?

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

When you have a PublisherEnterprise licence I typically solve this by using an "External Program Task":

- Install a QV Developer 32 bit on your 64bitServer
- Create a new External Program Task
- Use the QVDeveloper 32bit in batch mode for the task:
c:\Programme\QlikView\Qv.exe /r /noSecurity c:\test\NordwindDemo.qvw

Now the Publisher opens the QVDeveloper 32 bit to reload the document. So the 32bit driver can be used.

Should work the same in QVS 9.0. The "External Program" task now can be found under "Supporting tasks"

Not applicable
Author

Thank you rva for this valuable information. This is certainly an option to keep the reload tasks maintanance in publisher 64-bits while using 32 bits reloads in Developer. The drawback is that no output from the reload job will be available and also no jobfail emails. Also I can not use supporting tasks in the SB edition of QV 9 Server x64.

Is there no possiblity to perform all reloads in 32-bits by replacing certain application files and leave the rest of QV Server in 64-bits. Or another option is to use two installations of QlikView Server on a single system, one in 64-bits and one in 32-bits, will that be possible?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mark!

I'm not quite sure if you can install both 32 and 64bit QVS on a single machine! As the services installed have the same names, I don't know how windows will behave. If the setup finish successfully, you probably have to change ports/stop services.

From what I understand in QVS9 you the "Distribution Service" is the one you need to run in 32bit. I think previously it was the "Execution Service" in QV8.5.
Just give it a try.

Not applicable
Author

Hello rva,

Thank you for your answer. I'm certainly going to try your suggestions. But I can't imagine that nobody copes with the same problem over here. Off course for many of you 64-bits is a must, because of huge data amounts. But you must also have examples of data sources that don't offer 64-bits connectivity. How do you guys cope with this problem, do you all use an ETL tool and DWH in 64-bits before reloading in QV? Is there really no solution for this problem? Can maybe somebody from QlikTech give me some information about this? Thanks in advance.

regards Mark

Not applicable
Author

What does my eye see? Is that really a new feature in the QlikView Server x64 9 SR1? The possibility to install a x86 distribution service!

I will test it next week, hopefully it's really what I think it is, that would be great!

Not applicable
Author

That's correct, but it's one or the other. So either x86 or 64bit Distribution services, not both.

Chris

Not applicable
Author

Hi ,

I have the same problem .

How can i install a x86 Distribution service on a 64bits server with all Qlikview services already installed in 64 bits version ?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Hi

You can not install x86 distribution service when you already have 64 bit installed.

If you only need to access an database which only supports 32-bit like eg. Interbase, you can install QlikView developer 32 bit on you server as well.

Then create a QVD-creator with you 32bit version of QV.

Afterwards you could create a simple QVW with your 64-bit version where you simply call a reload of your 32bit QVD-creator like this:

EXECUTE "C:\Program Files\QlikView32\qv.exe" /r "D:\QV\Sales\QVD_creators\MyData.qvw"; to extract the data from your database.

Your 64-bit QVW is possible to reload through publisher....i know it might not be straight forward, but at least it is a workable turnaround.

/Martin

Not applicable
Author

Hi Martin

I've installed 32bit version of QV.exe on my server ( to reload my qvw manually ) but it seems that the serialisation doesn't work :

When i run qv.exe , it try to acces qlikview licence server (it fail because there is no internet acces on the server ) , i entered my licence number and control number and copy the content of my lef file ( those used for qvs 64 bit on same server ) . It says that's ok but i'm still in personnal edition and i can't open my qvw .

Do i need another lef file ?

Wouldn't it be possible to uninstall only 64bit distribution service and reinstall only 32 bit distribution service instead ( like Mark said in this post ) ?

Thanks