Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

why I cannot open QV document on QV server, however can open it on my PC

I have assigned client access license, which I thought I should be able to open any document.

I was trying open a QV doc. on QV server -- logging in to the server use my userid, I got
" this qlikview document was created by qlikview personal edition user.. '

however same doc. I have no issue opening using my own PC-- the QV doc is not created by me

2 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

If you are using the Desktop you are allow to lease two license. I would check the QMC to see if that has happen already. When you lease a license it is assigned to not only the user but also the machine.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Ronnie_Taborn
Support
Support

You will have to license your personal edition. You cannot open other QVW's that were created by another user with personal edition.

When to use License Lease

Use License Lease if you don't have a QlikView Desktop license or if running out of QlikView Desktop licenses

Prerequisites when leasing a license

The following prerequisites must be met to lease a license from QlikView Server

• Small Business Edition or Enterprise Edition of QlikView Server
  • Named user CALs
  • CAL assigned to user

Settings in QlikView Management Console

The following settings are required in QlikView Management Console (QMC) on the QlikView Server

• System > License > QlikView Server > Client Access Licenses (CALs) > General > Check 'Allow license lease'
  • System > License > QlikView Server > Client Access Licenses (CALs) > Assigned CALs > Select the specific user > Assign CAL

Leasing License from QlikView Desktop

In order to lease a license from QlikView Server the following steps needs to be done on the client:

Option 1: (If User domain and server authentication are the same)

1. Launch QlikView Desktop client 
  2. From the menu, go to  File -> Open in Server...
  3. Enter the address to QlikView Server using the qvp protocol (example: qvp://myserver )
  4. Hit Connect
  5. Open a document.  The license is now leased from the Qlikview Server
  6. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

Option 2: (If custom authentication mechanism is used - v10 SR4 or later & v11 only)

1. Open the QlikView Desktop client
  2. From the menu, goto Settings > User Preferences
  3. Go to the Locations tab and select QlikView Server AccessPoint (URL)
  4. Click the Modify... button
  5. Enter the URL to the QlikView AccessPoint, configured using Custom Authentication
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Apply then OK
  8. From the menu, goto Tools > Open QlikView AccessPoint
  9. Login using the custom credentials
  10. Open a document if a User CAL has not already been assigned. The license is now leased from the QlikView Server
  11. Close and relaunch QlikView Desktop client. You should now be able to work with local documents and the client is fully licensed.

What is QlikView Personal Edition?

• The full version of QlikView Desktop (not a trial version)
  • Free of charge and license key is not required
  • With QlikView Personal Edition you are free to create QlikView documents for personal use
  • It is possible to upgrade to a newer version

Download QlikView Personal Edition

What are the limitations of QlikView Personal Edition?

• It only works with local documents
  • Cannot share your QlikView documents with other users
  • Cannot load QlikView documents from other users
  • Cannot import an entire document layout into QlikView Personal Edition, e.g. sheets, objects, security settings without data
  • DO NOT attempt to open QlikView documents that you did not create, such as documents from the forums or created by a colleague

What is "Document Recovery"?