Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

A simple question about number formatting

I am trying to output the format of a table column to, eg. 8 days 3 hours 21 mins

In the Number Format box on the Properties >> Number tab, every time I type d, this displays the day.

In an Excel cell, it can be done by escaping reserved characters (e.g. you could use something like d \da\y\s to display '8 days' (because d, y and s, without the \ would display days, years, seconds, respectively).

Can formatting such as this be done in QV? It is easy to create customised formatting using non-reserved characters (e.g you can enter 'd bar' to output the value 8 as '8 bar'). Hope I'm making sense.

Thanks

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Unfortunately, I don't think QlikView can handle escape characters like that. Instead, you need to build it up bit by bit. Like this, for instance (untested):

timestamp(MyField,'d') & ' days '
& timestamp(MyField,'h') & ' hours '
& timestamp(MyField,'m') & ' mins'

And if you need to preserve the underlying numeric value, such as for sorting, you can use a dual():

dual(timestamp(MyField,'d') & ' days '
,MyField)

It's not ideal, but I think it's all we have. (Edit: Well, not all we have. Plenty of other ugly ways to do it. Just no clean way to do it that I'm aware of.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Unfortunately, I don't think QlikView can handle escape characters like that. Instead, you need to build it up bit by bit. Like this, for instance (untested):

timestamp(MyField,'d') & ' days '

And if you need to preserve the underlying numeric value, such as for sorting, you can use a dual():

dual(timestamp(MyField,'d') & ' days '
,MyField)

It's not ideal, but I think it's all we have. (Edit: Well, not all we have. Plenty of other ugly ways to do it. Just no clean way to do it that I'm aware of.)

Not applicable
Author

That is spot on John. Thank you very much!!!