Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding Data Labels to Specific Points

Hello,

I'm trying to create a line chart showing actual revenue YTD compared to budget revenue for the entire year. I'd like to have a data point on the most recent month's value (both actual and budget) and the budgeted year-end revenue. However, when I add data labels, they appear on every month. I haven't had any success in the "Show Value" section of the expression.

Thanks!

Greg

9 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Duplicate the expression that you only want the single label on. Then wrap the expression in something like if(Month=max(total Month),expression). Display the new expression as a line, and select text on data point. Since there will only be a single point, there will be no line plotted, and your text will be floating right above the REAL line, but only on a single data point.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John...I hadn't thought about doing it this way, but it make sense. The only problem now is that since I have full accumulation on (showing cumulative revenue YTD), the extra point only shows the non-cumulative value for that month. Is there a way to accumulate and show the value for the last point?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Sorry for the delay. Yes, you can do this. Sum(total Revenue) and sum(total Budget). "Total" tells it to ignore the chart dimensions, so it will give you the total for all selected months. Put that inside the IF statement to only display it on the final month, and you should get what you want. See attached.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It's actually pretty simple using "Show Value" - see attached. All you need to do is create an expression that returns true (any non-zero value) or false (zero).

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

A much better solution. Thanks, Oleg. Big Smile

Not applicable
Author

How about adding the series title and the value as the last data label? Like "Revenue: $565".

Thanks. Ted.

Not applicable
Author

Is there a way to keep these values from overlapping?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

No direct way that I'm aware of.

You could make the chart larger and/or the font smaller so that labels are less likely to overlap, but it's not really a robust solution.

What I'd probably do in this case is put the percentages in the Year dimension itself so they're in the legend instead of in the chart. So instead of having a dimension of Year, I think you could use a calculated dimension like this (untested):

=aggr(dual("Year" & ': ' & num(Your Expression,'#0.00%'),Your Expression),"Year")

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

Understand that I'm replying to a 6-7 year old post.. I found your solution to work perfectly, even for cases where I specify a secondary dimension. However, I ran into a situation where the max month is not the same across the secondary dimension (Geo in this case)... is there a way to solve this?

data points.PNG

Thanks in advance!

-Jason