Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
padmanabhv
Contributor III
Contributor III

Adding * around every word

Hi,
I am trying to get an ACTION to perform a few string functions.

I figured out replacing the AND/OR but am having trouble trying to add '*' at the start and end of each word.
For example, if vInPut  = (apple AND orange) OR mango

I want output = (*apple*,*orange*) | *mango*

REPLACE helps with changing the AND to , and OR to |
But how do I get a '*' around each word.

(PS. I need this specific format to perform a search, hence the *)
I could have the user enter , but I have picky users who would call this an "inconvenience"

PPS. Keep in mind there could be multiple such AND and OR combinations, so cannot assume there will be a fixed format, meaning you cannot REPLACE (vinput, '(','(*') because the ( may not always exist.

TLDR: ACTION string function to convert 'apple' to '*apple*' , and every 'word' converts to '*word*'

Thank you !

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

May be like this?

=Concat( 
	If(Len(SubField(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace('(apple AND orange) OR mango', 'AND', ','), 'OR', '|'), ')', ' )'), '(', '( '), ' ', ValueLoop(1, 10))) > 1,
	Chr(39) & '*', '')
	&
	SubField(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace('(apple AND orange) OR mango', 'AND', ','), 'OR', '|'), ')', ' )'), '(', '( '), ' ', ValueLoop(1, 10))
	&
	If(Len(SubField(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace('(apple AND orange) OR mango', 'AND', ','), 'OR', '|'), ')', ' )'), '(', '( '), ' ', ValueLoop(1, 10))) > 1,
	'*' & Chr(39), '')
, '', ValueLoop(1, 10))

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be like this?

=Concat( 
	Chr(39) & '*', '')
	&
	SubField(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace('(apple AND orange) OR mango', 'AND', ','), 'OR', '|'), ')', ' )'), '(', '( '), ' ', ValueLoop(1, 10))
	&
	'*' & Chr(39), '')
, '', ValueLoop(1, 10))
marcus_sommer

Just adding the wildcard around the words won't be enough. I think you need to take the efforts to build a rather larger logic with multiple if-loops in which you:

• count the number of words
  • count the number of AND and OR and XOR
  • count the number of brackets () and are all closed + are they nested
  • remove invalid chars (maybe tabs, various kind of quotes, …)
  • clean multiple spaces
  • replace spaces and/or terms like " and " with "* & *" (there might be various types)
  • consider to add also double-quotes - search-strings which contain a space or other special chars needs to be wrapped with quotes

It's hard work to develop a routine which fetched all possibilities … and if the users make logically mistakes with the AND's and OR's and the appropriate nesting with brackets the returned results won't be like they are expected. Therefore the more rules you could set the easier would be your task and the better would be the results.

Here a posting which provides nearly all information which are available to a compound search: Compound-Search-demystified.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Did Sunny or Marcus' post help with your use case?  If so, do not forget to return to the thread and use the Accept as Solution button on the post(s) that helped, this gives the poster credit for the assistance and lets the other Community Members know it worked for you.  If you still require further assistance, leave an update.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
padmanabhv
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you  @sunny_talwar ! This seemed to do the trick !
I know its hacky and ideally I should be creating a better solution like @marcus_sommer  mentions, but given my time constraints, this hacky fix is perfect !