Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmarsden
Partner - Contributor III

Bar chart: prevent auto-adjust to data

Hi,

Is there a way of fixing the position of the axis on a horizontal bar chart regardless of the dimension values?

I want to future proof a chart and have overlaid some text boxes so the position of the chart is key. If a dimension value is returned with different lengths in the future the chart will shift and all the text boxes are mis-aligned, it's very annoying!

bar chart issue.png

6 Replies
Not applicable

Have you tried perform a Ctrl+Shift keys - that will place red borders  the legend are chart area - you can drag the borders to make the chart are wider or longer

marcus_sommer

Maybe you used a string-function to prevent this, like: mid(YourDimension, 1, 10). If then your dimension-values not more unique then this needs some more logic but at first you could try it so.

- Marcus

kmarsden
Author

I think I going to try something similar. I'm going to create a dummy record with a long string length which will be linked to each row in that dimension field. I can then hide it and use a string function to truncate anything that has a longer string length than the dummy record. It's not ideal but I don't see an easier way.

If anyone out there is aware of a more elegant way I'd be grateful if you could share...

kmarsden
Author

This gave me an idea for a workaround so thank you for taking a look

marcus_sommer

I would try it without the dummy-record by doing something like this:

mid(YourDimension, 1, if(len(YourDimension) < 11, 10, len(YourDimension)) &

if(len(YourDimension) < 10, repeat(chr(32), 10 - len(YourDimension), '')

Maybe it needs some attempts to find a fill-char which will be accepted but there are various space-chars possible, see here what I mean: Container.

- Marcus

kmarsden
Author

Hi Marcus, I see what you mean. I've now tried this and going to use it with some minor adjustments to suit my needs. Thanks for your help.