Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar chart that reflects date spans

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to do the following:

My data source contains a set of tickets that are given a creation date and completion date. Typically these dates wll all occur within the same month, but on occasion a ticket can span over several months.

I would like for my bar chart to reflect a value of 1, for each ticket, for each month that it spans.

Here is some sample data:

Ticket #Create DateComplete DateStatus
TK3512/12/20126/4/2012Complete
TK3525/1/20125/2/2012Complete
TK3531/1/2012-In-Progress

Based on the above, I would like the chart to reflect that the ticket was "relevant" for the following months marked with an X:

(since the current month is July, I need an x in this month for TK353 since it is still in progress (no complete date has been entered))`

JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
TK351
xxxxx

TK352

x

TK353xxxxxxx

Using the above, I can show a crude ASCII bar chart showing how it would look:

x

xxxxx
xxxxxxx
JanFebMarAprMayJunJul

The issue I have is that the data is not time-variant, meaning I don't get a record for each month when the ticket remains open during that month. I only have the one record like above reflecting the date span.

On the same note, when the ticket is complete, I would like for it to not display on the chart. For this I can read the value of "Status" as to whether or not I increment the bar chart by +1.

Thanks for the help...

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

check this:

Not applicable
Author

Hi Pari,

Thank you for this example. It is definitely one way to approach the problem, but I find that it is restrictive in terms of how my end users can use the QV dashboard. Mainly, they need to be able to adjust the date dimensions like Month.