Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Browser reload 'hack'

Hi

We have a small document on our server that we want the user to be able to trigger the reload from the browser.  I quickly realised the trigger events don't function from the browser and have looked into this here on the community. The correct way to do this seems complicated and rather long winded for such a simple document.

So after a bit of thinking I came up with a bit of a hack to get around this however I have hit several brick walls and wonder if you know any trick that might work.

The theory:

Set up a variable (_Reload) with an input box on the document.

Set the document to reload every 10mins (for example).

In the script - if _Reload = 1 the reload script (setting _Reload back to 0 at the end) else Exit script.

When I use the exit script function all the tables are lost - no data

When I try to change the ErrorMode this also causes all table to be empty.  This also has the undesirable effect of triggering email 'failed reload' spam which seems to be a server setting not a document setting...?

The reason we want the user to be able to trigger the reload is because of changes made to an input Excel table and if the document reloaded regularly (without actually 'reloading') this would avoid unnecessary load on the server and if the Excel doc was changed it would only be 10mins before the user had a result they could then straight away export to Excel to work on.

I know this isn't the correct way to do this but any advice would be very helpful.

Oli

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Trying to set up user initiated reloads on the QV Server is a right pain as you have discovered and in my opinion not what QlikView is designed to do.  [From experience I have found it to be unreliable as well]

For just one user, I would suggest they are given a licence to use the QV Desktop and then they can reload the qvw to their hearts content.

..... or you could even create a QlikSense qvf dashboard for them and the foc QlikSense Desktop would work perfectly for their needs.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi music_43,

would it not be simpler to just set up the document to reload every 10 mins in QMC?

HTH Andy

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Not applicable
Author

Hi awhitfield

This is what we have done, but I was trying to avoid adding extra load on the server....?

Oli

Not applicable
Author

Hi gwassenaar

I had been to this very useful sight but it seemed complicated (especially for the project I am working on now) but I guess this will be the only way?

Thanks

Oli

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

How many users will be using the using the dashboard qvw ?

Not applicable
Author

Hi bill.markham

Just the one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Trying to set up user initiated reloads on the QV Server is a right pain as you have discovered and in my opinion not what QlikView is designed to do.  [From experience I have found it to be unreliable as well]

For just one user, I would suggest they are given a licence to use the QV Desktop and then they can reload the qvw to their hearts content.

..... or you could even create a QlikSense qvf dashboard for them and the foc QlikSense Desktop would work perfectly for their needs.

Not applicable
Author

bill.markham

Thank you for your advice and honest opinion.

I think the QlikSense might work and make my boss less nervous about granting this individual too much access to the data.

Thanks again

Oli

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't know if you have used QlikSense yet, but if not this could be a great opportunity for you get your hands dirty and learn about it.  It is never bad to add extra things onto your CV.