Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calendar Object Problem II

When I view the calendar object, the week always starts on Monday. This throws everyone off because all of our calendars start on sunday. And since there is no 'S' 'M' 'T' 'W' 'T' 'F' 'S' ... headers, it is very misleading for users to select the right day.

Is there a way to make the calendar object start on a Sunday?

Thank you

Tom Weaver

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

yes, it's really misleading... I also tried that and couldn't find any solution.. Anybody has any idea?

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

tom.weaver wrote:Is there a way to make the calendar object start on a Sunday?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is "no". I've avoided the problem by never using calendars, and just having year, year-month and date selections. Sometimes year-quarter and year-week selections.

What might or might not work for you, depending on your needs, is faking up your own calendar. Let me try that.

OK, I think I have it. There are a whole lot of pieces here, and I'm sure I'll be missing a lot of them in this explanation, but you'll have the attached example to reference, and you can ask questions if you can't figure something out.

I kept the calendar object for the icon, but put an invisible button on top of it that toggles a field value instead of opening the real calendar object. The field value is the display condition for all of the objects that make up my calendar. So you can click the calendar icon to bring up and close down my calendar. I put it on layer 10+, so it should go on top of anything in your application when it is up. The bulk of the calendar is a carefully-formatted pivot table, with the week down the left side, and the day of the week across the top (and starting with Sunday). The expression is the day of the month. There's a background color expression on the expression, lightgreen if that date is selected, else a light gray. I used "custom format cell" to make dark gray the default. There's a dark gray text box behind everything with no text, and with a border. Above the calendar are "multiboxes" with a single field each for the month and the year. There are also two hidden list boxes, which force there to be one and only one selection for both month and year, so the pivot table only displays one month at a time. Behind the two multiboxes for month and year are a couple of slider objects with only the arrows showing, also for the month and the year. So clicking on the arrows lets you advance forward and back through months or years. When you click on a cell, that selects the day of the week. There is a trigger on selection of the day of the week that runs a macro. The macro selects the REAL date (the calendar is built using fake dates), and then clears out the calendar fields. It also clears the field that causes the calendar to display, so the calendar disappears again.

The result isn't exactly the same behavior or look as the real calendar, but it's very similar in behavior and look, at least in my opinion. It might be good enough, at least if you're willing to put forth that kind of effort for a pop up calendar. I wouldn't if I had the choice, but I will if my users specifically ask for it, and now I have a way to do it. Probably good enough.

One thing I've noticed, though, is QlikView locking up while I've been playing with this. I'm not sure if it's an actual problem, or if it's just because I have twenty different things open at the same time and haven't rebooted my computer in a couple weeks.