Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can i ignore user selections in a single bar in a bar chart without using sum

I have a single bar in a bar chart that uses a variable with a stored expression in the expression field. I need to restrict the user selections to only 3 filters so that if any filters other than those are clicked, the expression = 0.

So the logic is if(SubRegion selected or Quarter selected or GBU selected, $(vTarget), 0)

I also need it to calculate vTarget if no fields are selected. There are many fields I want left out so I would prefer not to use {<field1=,field2=, etc>} if I can avoid it.

The problem I've run into is that all the examples I've come across to do this use sum() and when I do that the $(vTarget) returns the wrong number. I have tried using DISTINCT($(vTarget) but again, the number returns wrong. is there a way to specify exclusions (or inclusions) using my variable without using Sum()?

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

The X axis is a series of expressions.

When I set vTarget to zero the bar placeholder stays there and displays zero (I have those unchecked) hence the 0.0 for the Pre-Pipeline bar above still being visible. I was able to set it with one filter with

=if(isnull(field1),$(vTarget),0)

and it works great - zeroes out when that field is selected but still displays the placeholder. However, when I tried to add additional filters if(isnull(field1) or isnull(field2) etc... ( I also tried nesting ifs) it doesn't work properly.

Not applicable
Author

so I thought this through but I'm not sure it would work because I need only the one bar to have this condition, not the entire chart. I don't believe you can set one bar of a chart to an alternate state, but even if I could, I would still need the other bars to react to all the data, including those three fields and I don't believe you can set more that one alternate state at a time.

Thank you for weighing in.

Not applicable
Author

I tried this and it did not work unfortunately, I got 0 for all combinations of filters, including the three I need.

Not applicable
Author

I was able to figure this out

=if((getSelectedCount(field1)>0

or getSelectedCount(field2)>0

or getSelectedCount(field3)>0

..etc...),0,$vTarget))

Unfortunately I had to list several field names but it is working perfectly. Thank you for all your suggestions!