Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjamesking
Creator
Creator

Combining Set Analysis Operators

Hi,

I know that to create a union between two sets you use syntax such as

<set1> + <set2>

and to create the intersection of twos sets you use

<set1> * <set2>

But is there any was of combining these operators?

For instance I would like to create the intersection of sets, each of which is the union of two sets itself

e.g.

(<set1> + <set2>) * (<set3> + <set4>)

Doesn't like the parenthesis though

Any ideas?

Matt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

This seems to work:

=COUNT({(<Category1 = {A}> + <Category2 = {Red}>) * (<Category3 = {Bananas}> + <Category4 = {Brunette}>)} ID)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

10 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Seems to work for me.

Could you upload a sample that doesn't work as expected (and maybe add the expected result, too)?

edit:

Tested on QV12 IR with set expressions like

=Concat({(<TASK = {2}>+<TASK = {1}>)*(<TASK = {1}>+<TASK = {3}>)}TASK,', ')

=Concat({<TASK = {2}>+(<TASK = {1}>)*(<TASK = {1}>)+<TASK = {3}>} TASK,', ')

maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

Not sure what your problem is but use of parenthesis is covered by manual:

sum( {$<Year = Year + ({“20*”,1997} – {2000}) >} Sales )

sum( {$<Year = (Year + {“20*”,1997}) – {2000} >} Sales )

These two expressions have different logic due to use of parenthesis.

Best regards,

Maxim

sunny_talwar

What exactly are your sets, may be the two sets don't have anything in common and that's why you don't see any results?

mjamesking
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the responses everyone. How do I upload a qlikview file to the forum? I've put together a simplified example

sunny_talwar

Check here: Uploading a Sample

mjamesking
Creator
Creator
Author

Here we go...

Here's a simplified example of what I'm trying to do. The first two combined sets (Union) work as expected, then what I want to do is to get the intersection of these two combined sets, but the result isn't as expected, I would expect the and (Count) to be 3 (ids 4, 8 and 10).

Cheers

Matt

sunny_talwar

This seems to work:

=COUNT({(<Category1 = {A}> + <Category2 = {Red}>) * (<Category3 = {Bananas}> + <Category4 = {Brunette}>)} ID)

Capture.PNG

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Neverming the red wiggly lines underneath set expression parts in aggregation expressions, if that is what is bothering you. In many cases, even the syntax checker in the expression editor isn't aware of what QlikView is capable of.

P.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't even get red wiggly lines.

Matt, I believe you should get your expected result if you use parentheses as you indicated in your OP (but it seems you've removed these from your sample file).

You will get an error if you place the set identifier at the wrong place:

Error:

=COUNT({$(<Category1 = {A}> + <Category2 = {Red}>) * (<Category3 = {Bananas}> + <Category4 = {Brunette}>)} ID)

While this should be ok (or just remove the default set identifier:

=COUNT({($<Category1 = {A}> + $<Category2 = {Red}>) * ($<Category3 = {Bananas}> + $<Category4 = {Brunette}>)} ID)