Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgriffiths
Creator
Creator

Connect to qvd outside of qlikview

Hi all,

I am new to qlikview and have been having loads of fun creating dashboards.

I am collecting data from lots of locations, one in USA but most around the UK.

Because this data is spread out, in the past it has been very slow to get the data for scheduled reports, but as we are now collecting this data into QVD files and constantly updating them, I would like to be able to access this collected data from the QVD on our local network but outside of Qlikview. IE Crystal Reports, Ms Access.

Does a ODBC driver for qvd files exist?

I don't think it was covered on the Designer or Developer courses.

Many thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Colin-Albert

When you use store to create the QVD files you have the option to store the data as csv in a text file as well.

This is not as efficient as QVD but is one option as the csv file can be opened by other applications.

store data_table into data.qvd (qvd) ;

store data_table into data.csv (txt) ;

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Colin-Albert

When you use store to create the QVD files you have the option to store the data as csv in a text file as well.

This is not as efficient as QVD but is one option as the csv file can be opened by other applications.

store data_table into data.qvd (qvd) ;

store data_table into data.csv (txt) ;

Not applicable

Pretty sure you can get QVD's read into a database using an etl importer - each file has an XML header along with a symbol table and the actual data table so in theory it's possible...

Just a pity a qvd isn't backward compatible to Excel

Not applicable

Can't you change the extension from qvd to qvx to read from another odbc connector.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Pejay,

I'd also urge you to think about security aspects whilst relying on the QVD files. QlikTech doesn't provide a shell to protect the QVD files and you have to rely on the OS. So please think about the security whilst relying QVD files as the source for other systems.

Thanks,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi Pejay,

we provide at least a Java lib and JDBC driver to process/read QVD files externally independent from QlikView. To develop an ODBC would be possible from my point of view but would need some efforts, of course..

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
pgriffiths
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you all for your help so far.

I think the QVX idea is worth looking into. Didn't know about them.

I have just downloaded the QlikView QVX File Format.pdf file and will take a look on how to use them.

The filepath is locked down on our network paths so security should be fine.

pgriffiths
Creator
Creator
Author

I'm not sure how to save to QVX. Anyone know?

I currently use the store command but this outputs to QVD or CSV only.

Nothing in F1 help on how to save to QVX files.

I have looked through the forums but have not yet found any info on how to save to QVX format.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

If you mean the store command in script, just use (qvx) as the file file type qualifier

STORE data into MyFile.qvx (qvx);

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
pgriffiths
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Jonathan,

I did check the F1 help file and it said that the Store only did QVD and TXT.

format-spec ::= ( ( txt | qvd ) )

Is there an updated help file that I should be looking at to find this info out.?