Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II

Count first sorted value based on additional selection

Hi, 

I'm having some difficulties getting the syntax right for something i'm trying to calculate.

One of my graphs displays the first instance that something occurs within a particular location - i currently choose that location as a filter.

However i am now in the position whereby i need to both add another filter and count the instances but i don't want to have to do that by selecting the filter but rather build it in to the original expression.

My original expression is:

//Time(FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Sent for Time],ID,1))

But i now need it to count the same first sorted value but only if the field '[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]' is equal to '1' and if it started before 09:01:00

Can anyone help.

The closest I've got is:

Count(FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT{<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}>}[Sent for Time]<='00:09:00',ID,1))

but the expression is clearly wrong.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi!

Okey, I did not understand what you were trying to achieve. Just use a Count function and maintain the set expression:

Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>} [Sent for Time])

Regards,

Jaime.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi!

Try something like

Count(FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT{<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {"<=$(=Time('09:00'))"}>}[Sent for Time],ID,1))

Where I sopposed that your field [Sent for Time] is properly interpreted as a "time" field with format 'HH:MM:SS'. If it does not work, please try to share a sample APP so we can test (with dates and times and so on there is often errors in interpretation or formats)

Regards,

Jaime.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Jamie, 

thanks for getting back so quickly. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work, i imagine that you're right and its probably a formatting issue that's stopping it from working.

I'll look to create a version i can upload so you can see it. at the moment its just a simple straight chart so i can see if the calculations work (the count would either return a 1 or 0 as i'm concentrating on one location), ultimately it may look more like a run chart or similar so i can see how often over the weeks / months they run to schedule.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

A version of the app.

Thanks.

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Peter!

Thanks for the test APP. I realized that I made a mistaked when I copy-pasted your expression to suggest you a solution. Please, try the following, it works on the test app:

Time(FirstSortedValue(Distinct {<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>}[Sent for Time],ID,1))

Regards,

Jaime.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi, 

Sorry for the delay - Sickness!

That expression does work for identifying the first instance under a '1' condition which is great but i need to be able to count the instances; a 1 for if it conforms to the condition, 0 if not. The idea being so i can state how often that condition is met over a period of time.

Any idea?

Thanks.

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi!

Okey, I did not understand what you were trying to achieve. Just use a Count function and maintain the set expression:

Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>} [Sent for Time])

Regards,

Jaime.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Fantastic, thank you!

Its working perfectly now and i have an extra expression that i hadn't even realised that i needed so its a double win.

Thank You!!

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

This is probably unlikely but is it possible to get it to return a 'Yes' / 'No' on the count, eg 'No' if it counts '0' and 'Yes' if it counts a '1'+ ?

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Yes, of course you can. Try something as the following:

if( Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>} [Sent for Time]), 'Yes', 'No')

Regards,

Jaime.