Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blade001
Contributor II
Contributor II

Data model for QlikView and Impact of NULL

Hi,

I just wanted a second opinion on a QlikView data model I have been asked to optimize. The model it self seems rather overly complicated and doesn't follow any conventional dimensional modeling.

I am currently looking at the the model and trying to reduce number of tables it contains to remove having too many joins and fall back to a slightly larger (lots of columns) dimension tables rather than having 4-5 tables associated with each dimensions (going more towards the star schema from snowflake). Please see the attached diagram below. I prefer the model 2 as this will simplify the model. The current model looks like the 1st model demonstrated in my diagram. Now I can't see any advantage of having the data model 1 over the data model 2. Also Just wondering having the NULLs in the Model 2 is a bad thing when scaling the data model and what impact each model will have on memory? Any thought would be more than welcome.

S.K.Rab

3 Replies
awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

GO for option 2, keep it as simple as possible

Andy

Not applicable

your results should be the same regardless of the model you pick, but I too, would go with 2.  It is simple, straight forward and puts all of the data into 1 (fact) table.

Not applicable

Model approach gave better performance on UI but it make some additional refresh time on the large data sets.