Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data source, ETL and map application on QlikView

Hi all,

I have tried to use QlikView Desktop for a few days and had some questions to ask.

1. QlikView supports excel files and database as data source. It does not affect the original source, so where and how QlikView to store the data source?

2. Is Expressor use to develop ETL?

3. I have read some Demo Apps at QlikView Official Website. I found that QlikView can present data on map. How to do that?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

WY

5 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

1. QlikView supports excel files and database as data source. It does not affect the original source, so where and how QlikView to store the data source?

Basically QlikView is a 'in-memory' platform. It loads your data to memory. There are some files (QVD´s) that QlikView can use to store that data if needed

2. Is Expressor use to develop ETL?

Yes, but it´s not totally necessary. You can write your ETL scripts using QlikView Developer

3. I have read some Demo Apps at QlikView Official Website. I found that QlikView can present data on map. How to do that?

Youtube has a lot of videos about including maps into your Qlikview Application

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

1.  QlikView stores the data which it loads inside the QV application file itself.  You can notice that the more data, the large the app file.

2.  QlikView script is ETL script.  No external tools needed.

QlikView application includes:
- Script.  It is executed during the reload.  Reads data from the sources, transforms if necessary, creates associations, build data model
- Data.  This is what you get after running the script.
- Front end.  Sheet objects like charts, filters, buttons, text boxes.  In general, you need to load data before you can build front end.

All this is stored within one QVW file.

3.  Search this forum for Google Maps.  It is the most common, although you can use other maps, e.g. Bing.  To build maps, you have to load geocodes (latitude/longitude) of your data points.

Regards,
Michael

Not applicable
Author

For expressor, what is/are the main functions of it? Does it provide more advanced ETL functions?

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Yes, it provides a totally different approach.

To know about this product I recommend you to read the product documentation (which is very extense)

http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/products/expressor

I must remember you that QlikView itself (without Expressor) cand do a very very nice job

Not applicable
Author

I have watched some video about how Expressor works. It likes Informatica PowerCenter. Thus, I am a bit interested in it.

Thanks a lot.