Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III

Data suppression

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to suppress values in Qlikview. Feels like it should be possible, but I can't find anything!

LocationTypeField 1Field 2Field 3
NorthA33152
NorthB16121
NorthC51316
NorthD11612
SouthA29243
SouthB22536
SouthC25128
SouthD02321

So for example, if any value in 'Field 1' is fewer than 2, I want to suppress it, and if any value is fewer than 3 in 'Field 2' or 'Field 3' I want to suppress it.

If I filter by location and type, then I would want to suppress anything highlighted red, so that these values are not used in any expressions. However, if I filtered by type only then I would only want to suppress the data in 'Type D' as this is the only place where the value would still be fewer than 2.

Apologies if this makes very little sense - I've started confusing myself slightly!

To give you an idea of the outcome I'm looking for, I'll explain how we're currently doing this:

We look for low values in the data tables in QV (after filtering as necessary), we would then create a new excel file and name it 'Suppressed by location and type' / 'Suppressed by type' and then manually find those values, delete them and then reload the new files.

A very long-winded and error-prone way of doing things!

If anyone is able to offer me any suggestions, I would be very grateful!

Many thanks,
Jess

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I've now solved this using modifiers in my expressions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

if([Field 1]<2,null(),[Field 1])) as Field1Temp,

if([Field 2]<3,null(),[Field 2])) as Field2Temp,

if([Field 3]<3,null(),[Field 3])) as Field3Temp,

Drop Fields [Field 1],[Field 2],[Field 3];

rename Fields Field1Temp to [Field 1], Field2Temp to [Field 2], Field3Temp to [Field 3];

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. Could you explain it to me a bit?
For example, where in the script would this go?

And how do I tell it what level to suppress at?

Thanks,
Jess

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

These lines:

if([Field 1]<2,null(),[Field 1])) as Field1Temp,

if([Field 2]<3,null(),[Field 2])) as Field2Temp,

if([Field 3]<3,null(),[Field 3])) as Field3Temp,

would replace the lines in your script where you are loading [Field 1], [Field 2], and [Field 3].

These lines:

Drop Fields [Field 1],[Field 2],[Field 3];

rename Fields Field1Temp to [Field 1], Field2Temp to [Field 2], Field3Temp to [Field 3];

would go after the data is loaded.

And how do I tell it what level to suppress at?  I don't understand this question.

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you.

Level to suppress at:

If I filter by location and type, then I would want to suppress anything highlighted red, so that these values are not used in any expressions. However, if I filtered by type only then I would only want to suppress the data in 'Type D' as this is the only place where the value would still be fewer than 2.

So in my table if I look at each 'Type' by their 'Location', then the fields highlighted red would need to be suppressed. E.g. 'Type C' is suppressed for both 'North' and 'South'. However, if I look at 'Type' only, then the value of 'Type C' would now total 4, so it would no longer need to be suppressed.

The suppression at different levels is really the most crucial part for me.

Thanks,

Jess

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

The script code that I showed just replaces those Field values with nulls.

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

That's what I thought, but thank you for your help.

The suppression really needs to be dynamic based on what's been selected in a list box. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jess

jessica_webb
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I've now solved this using modifiers in my expressions.