Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris1987
Creator
Creator

Debugging Application - Taking far too long - help with process please?

Morning,

I have an app that is 1gb in size, it takes approx 4 minutes to open.

I'm doing some work on the tables and need to keep refreshing the data to test. Using the debug mode I set the process going, it runs for 10 mins and then it prompts me with an error, the error is not important as I do realize there are some fields that don't exist etc. so I need to change them - hence why I'm debugging. Sometimes there's a calculation that is wrong, and it may take 4 or 5 attempts to get it right.

Every time I have to debug and get an error I have to reload the entire app again (4 mins), make the change then save the changes (another 4 mins) then run the debug and move onto the next error (10mins) so to make a simple change it is taking me at least 18mins, it could be something as simple as a field name that is wrong but it still takes 18mins to correct this.

I've put load limits on the debug to only load 100 records to speed things up, but I still have the issue of having to save / reload the data which takes forever.

Is there something I am missing? I'm self taught in QV so it may be really simple, but I'm losing hours and hours watching the loading screen or waiting whilst the script saves and reloads again.

Cheers

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

To speed things up you can do several things:

1. Run through the entire script in debug mode. Make a note of each error then resume the load and move on to the next error. All this while still in debug mode. Then fix as many bugs as you've identified in this debug run.

2. Partition your script so you can enable/disable parts of it easily. Perhaps you can disable some parts you know are good and that aren't needed for the parts you still need to debug. Subroutines are a good way to do this. Putting code on different tabs and commenting out code on entire tabs is another.

3. Store intermediate results into qvd files. That will allow you to disable large parts of the code that already work but take a lot of time and instead simply load the data from the relevant qvd.

4. Create small qlikview documents to test specific load statements or calculations. Once you've verified the code is correct integrate it in your main document.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

To speed things up you can do several things:

1. Run through the entire script in debug mode. Make a note of each error then resume the load and move on to the next error. All this while still in debug mode. Then fix as many bugs as you've identified in this debug run.

2. Partition your script so you can enable/disable parts of it easily. Perhaps you can disable some parts you know are good and that aren't needed for the parts you still need to debug. Subroutines are a good way to do this. Putting code on different tabs and commenting out code on entire tabs is another.

3. Store intermediate results into qvd files. That will allow you to disable large parts of the code that already work but take a lot of time and instead simply load the data from the relevant qvd.

4. Create small qlikview documents to test specific load statements or calculations. Once you've verified the code is correct integrate it in your main document.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
chris1987
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks, I like the idea or storing into qvd's, that should save some time.

I'll do that now

chris1987
Creator
Creator
Author

I've also found that opening the app "Without Data" then saving it and setting a load limit of 10 records enables me to debug very quickly, once I have done this I will set a fully load running and then save the app with the data loaded.

Really happy 🙂

Cheers

Chris

EeroS
Contributor II
Contributor II

• You can use Qlik manuals like "QlikView 11 for Developers" -By Garcia M., Harmsen B. to debug.
  • See chapter 7, page 247 to start DEBUG process in many distinct ways.
  • You can find script information too easily in this GREAT manual !

Cheers and Happy Labour Day ! Glada Vapen !

Bears of Finland.

SE