Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Difference Between Syn Table & Link Table

Hello All,

This is my 1st post in this community and 3rd day on Qlikview, So please don't mind if my question sounds doesn't make any sense.

I would like to know the difference between the Syn Table and Link Table.

I have create a model where I could see Syn table automatically created when I brought in a table which has 2 columns that have to joined to 2 different tables to bring uniqueness.

I will try to be more clear:

I have a fact table and three 3 dimensions joined to it .For Ex:

Fact
Date
City
Product
Sales
State
Country
Date
Date
Month
Year
Product
Product
Product Line
Product Type

So far it is good, now I have brought in a new table which has a measure in it but at different granularity like budget(As below).

Budget
City
Date
Budget

When I reloaded the document after adding the Budget I found a Syn table acting as a link between newly added table or fact and to other dimensions.

I didn't find any issues with the results, When I created a chart list with product in it Budget repeats for every product which is fine.

I would like to know is it the right way to do it or I have to concatenate both the Fact and Budget tables or link both the tables using a link table.I haven't used either of the approach so far.

Please suggest me the best approach.I am happy to provide any additional information if required. Thanks in Advance.

-MC

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You should concatenate your Fact table with your budget table. E.g.

Facts:

Load *,

'Actuals' as Type

From Facts;

Concatenate

Load *,

'Budget' as Type

From Budget;

Read more on http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/10/26/mixed-granularity

HIC

View solution in original post

7 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You should concatenate your Fact table with your budget table. E.g.

Facts:

Load *,

'Actuals' as Type

From Facts;

Concatenate

Load *,

'Budget' as Type

From Budget;

Read more on http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/10/26/mixed-granularity

HIC

vikasmahajan

I would like to know the difference between the Syn Table and Link Table.

What is  Synthetic key and how to avoid it in QlikView

Ans : It is undesirable to have multiple common keys across multiple tables in a QlikView data structure. This may cause QlikView to use complex keys (a.k.a. synthetic keys) to generate the connections in the data structure. Synthetic keys are generally resource heavy and may slow down calculations and, in extreme cases, overload anapplication. They also make a document harder to understand and maintain. Thereare some cases where synthetic keys cannot be avoided (e.g. Interval Match tables),but, in general, synthetic keys should always be eliminated, if possible.

1. comment the fileds in load script
2. rename the fileds in load script
3. rename the fileds using UNQUALIFY operator;

Q    : What is Central Link Table

In the event of multiple fact tables QlikView In-Memory Technology allows us to create a central link table that only contains the existing data combinations. Instead of Joining the tables the event dimensions can be merged (CONCATENATED) in to one central Link table. This link table can then be linked back to the event measures one side and

the dimension tables on the other.

Coming to your problem  find attached solution.

Hope this will help you to understand LINK TABLE

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your reply Vikas.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much Henric. I will have a look.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric,

If I don't have Product in the chart list I am getting data as I expected but when I have Product Budget appears only at city level but I want Budget value to repeat for every product. I was able to able to achieve this with SYN table. How to do with Concatenation.

Thanks,SC

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Conceptually, there is no difference between a Syn Key and a link table in your example. See this post for more:

http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2013/04/16/synthetic-keys

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob.