cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazznewbie
Contributor II
Contributor II

Disconnected tables vs concatenated table

First time asker here, please excuse if this question does not make sense or is too naive!

I have a Qlik dashboard, let us call it 'Sales Dashboard' that has sales reports in individual tabs for 3 products; A, B and C.

Although, the data is similar in all 3 tabs but since they talk about 3 unrelated products, there is a clear seperation and the 3 tabs are meant to work independently.

Each tab has its own tables all seperate.

Which approach is preferable from a performance standpoint.

1) Keeping all tables disconnected (there is no intention to create a relationship)

2) Concatenate tables into one table identified by a flag column

Someone told me 2 works faster but I have my doubts (I believe there is 0 to negligible difference especially when both have 94 fields and ~15k records). Please excuse if this has been answered before. Thank you.

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Considering the amount of data it is very unlikely you'll see any performance difference as long as you never combine data from two or three tables in one object.

The downside of separate tables is of course that you won't be able to analyse across the three products. You won't be able to compare products with each other in one chart or table.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
jazznewbie
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Gysbert,

That's what I thought - thanks for confirming. The Sales dashboard was only an example and it does not make any sense to compare between "products" in the actual dashboard. The only reason why these 3 tabs exist in the same dashboard is because they pertain to the same business albeit different processes - similar data, disparate operations. Thank you so much for your prompt response!