Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic selection

I have 11 variables of which one variable (say Fieldnames) contains the variable names of the  other 10 variables. Is there any way I can select a field by selecting the corresponding value from the variable 'Fieldnames' ?

Lets say if i have to create a dynamic list box which would show the values in the field which I select from the variable "Fieldnames"??

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I think you are confusing Variables and Fields. TO clarify, Variable can only hold a single value at a time, while a Field (stored in a Table) can hold multiple values at a time.

If you wanted to have a dynamic List Box that shows a field of your choice, you don't have to create another field for that. It's enough to create a Dimension Group (Document Properties --> Groups) and use the Group in the List Box. The users will be able to select what field to show.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Milan, Italy and Austin, TX!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response.

The issue is like this,

there are 4 variables lets say A,B,C,D

with the following values

A  B   C   D

1   2   3    A

1   2   5    B

2   3   5    C

2   3   5

2   4   5

I need to summarize in a table the values of A,B,C dynamically viz if a user selects 'A' from

the list box(of variable D), the table should show summarized values of A and similarly for B & C.

I know the variable 'D' has values which are names of other variables. But can we by some way make

such a dynamic table