Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex-wb
Contributor III
Contributor III

Error Message

Hi all,

I am wondering why I get the below error message when I try to load a view into QLIK. It's okay when I load the data as a table, but it doesn't like the view. The issue seems to be with the below bit of SQL

alexwb_0-1679570184848.png

alexwb_1-1679570235186.png

Thanks,

Alex

Labels (2)
5 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

This sounds like an issue with your Oracle view, not a Qlik issue. As per the message, it seems like the data is returning a non-numeric character in a location where a numeric value (such as month or hour) is expected.

alex-wb
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I don't think this is the case though. I can look at the structure of the table and as you can see it correctly returns the column as a date 

alexwb_0-1679571398670.png

Or
MVP
MVP

You can test this by running the code as a query (rather than using the view) without the TO_DATE aspects. But as I said, this does not appear to be a Qlik issue so you're likely to have better luck asking about it in an Oracle-centric location.

marcus_sommer

Qlik could be excluded as cause because it didn't touch the SQL. Beside any potential issues to your cast-syntax you should take a look on the used driver which may not compatible to your code and/or data-base (32 bit vs. 64 bit driver, the release and with it the support of newer features, ...).

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

HI @alex-wb,

As both @Or  and @marcus_sommer stated this issue is occurring on the data side and not the QlikView side. QlikView is returning the error because that is what it is receiving from the data source.

I searched the Oracle 01858 error and found the following:

ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected

Cause: The input data to be converted using a date format model was incorrect. The input data did not contain a number where a number was required by the format model.

Action: Fix the input data or the date format model to make sure the elements match in number and type. Then retry the operation.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_01858_non_numeric.htm

https://www.tekstream.com/resource-center/ora-01858-error-message/

Suggest you reach out to your DBA for further assistance with this Oracle error.

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!