Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danialier
Creator III
Creator III

Excel Tables linked through multiple dimensions

Hello,

I have a QV taking the information from five different excel files. All of them are linked through one dimension but there are two that are linked with two dimensions (month and country).

Is that an issue ? Which are the pros and cons of having two tables linked with multiple dimensions rather than a single dimension ?

thks!

dani

10 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

There should not be any problem except they will create a syn1 table due to synthetic key.

You can either follow a concatenate or link table approach to remove the synthetic key..

Please find more on community about how to remove synthetic key

Not applicable

If two tables or more are joined by more than one dimension - it will create a synthetic key. Do you get the same - a table with $Syn?

If that's the case, it is better to avoid it by concatenating the 2 dimension into one. This can be done in the load file or in the load process.

For example:

LOAD

A & B as C

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Colin-Albert

Can you give more details on what fields are in each table.

It could be that the data should be concatenated not joined.

A screen shot of the tables from the table viewer may help.

PrashantSangle

Hi,

As you said that all table should " linked through one dimension " then instead of concatenate you just rename the fields which you don't want to link.

Regards,

Great dreamer's dreams never fulfilled, they are always transcended.
Please appreciate our Qlik community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂
Not applicable

Rather than having multiple tables(1 per sheet), try to JOIN or CONCATENATE them into fewer tables.

Your model will be simpler to read.

You will avoid synthetic keys  (even if, I am not sure, that you necessarily, need to remove them)

Fabrice

danialier
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Here an attachment of the table viewer.

In the QV I have a Chart that takes data from the two tables linked through two dimensions, and this is why I need both dimensions in both tables unless there is another solution...

Picture1.png
thks,dani

Not applicable

Dani,

I would say:

1) either keep the synthetic key (if not big data)

2) or (like everybody tells us to do)

a) in the current tables, concatenate the two fields A & B as sth, or use the function AutoNumber(A&B) to get an integer. Remove both fields A & B

b) create a new table doing the link between A&B with A, and with B

therefore your new table will have 3 fields:

1st field: A&B (or AutoNumber)

2nd Field: A

3d field: B

Of course, in this new table, you must have ALL A&B values that are in both data tables. If not, some data will be missing.

Fabrice

Not applicable

For big data, it is an issue. Because if there is Synthetic Table, it make qlikview jump to more table when it's do the associative.

For Example:

If there is only table A and B, when qlikview do the associative, there will be a link just table A and B.

But if you have Synthetic table, then it will do link from table A to Table Synthetic table and then table B.

It won't have big difference of performance if you have small data, but it will for big data.