Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression help ?

Hi all

I need to calculate NET SALES based on VAT rate. But VAT is changing year to year on a particular date. Net sales = Gross sales - VAT.

Only 'Gross Sales' field available in database. So I have created a YEAR dimension extracted from DATE field. YEAR values are 2004 , 2005,… 2011.

VAT details:

Year VAT% With effect from

2011 20% 04/01/2011

2010 17.5% 01/01/2010

2009 15.0% 01/12/2008

2008 17.5% -------------

2007 17.5% -------------

2006 17.5% -------------

2005 17.5% -------------

2004 17.5% -------------

If I click year 2011…that should show the 'Net sales' based on VAT rates 20% and 17.5% .. because VAT has changed on 04th Jan 2011. Before that, it was 17.5%

Can someone tell me the code to write in expression ?

Many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

You need to join VAT on Booking Date, not on year. Unless you're very patient, I doubt you can do this with an inline load. Rather create a table with the following fields: BeginDate, EndDate, VAT. Then you can do either an intervalmatch using this table (see help file for more details) or simply a join as follows:

data:
LOAD
[BOOKING_DATE],
Year([BOOKING_DATE]) as year,
`GROSS_SALES`;
SQL SELECT `BOOKING_DATE`,
`GROSS_SALES`
FROM A;
VAT_table:
LOAD
BeginDate,
EndDate,
VAT
FROM myfile.qvd (qvd);
JOIN (VAT_table) LOAD [BOOKING_DATE] RESIDENT data;
final_VAT_table:
LOAD
[BOOKING_DATE],
VAT
RESIDENT VAT_table
WHERE [BOOKING_DATE]>=BeginDate and [BOOKING_DATE]<=EndDate
;
DROP TABLE VAT_table;

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

The expression itself will be really simple, you just need to implement this properly in your data model. I'm assuming you have a calendar dimension with years in it. Do a LEFT JOIN onto that table to bring in VAT%. Because of QV's associate data model, each sales transaction will then be associated with a particular VAT% because it is associated with a date. Your expression would then be simply: (1-VAT)*sum(Sales)

Regards,

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

If your sales transactions table is related to your calendar, then the associative logic should do the rest. Using the following should work regardless of the year selected, if any:

Sum(Gross * VAT)

In case VAT is a percentage.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I am still bit confusing. There's NO field available for VAT. So i have loaded data like this:

LOAD [BOOKING_DATE],

`GROSS_SALES`;

`GROSS_SALES`

FROM A;

VAT:

LOAD * INLINE [

year Vat

2004, 17.5

2005, 17.5

2006, 17.5

2007, 17.5

2008, 17.5

2009, 15.0

2010, 17.5

2011, 20.0

;

Now i got 'Vat' dimension. If i click year 2011, it will show the associative value 20.0 in Vat. But VAT has chaged on 04th Jan 2011 ( 'VAT details' given above). From 1st Jan 2011 to 3rd jan2011, it was 17.5%. So If i click 01/01/2011 in BOOKING_DATE that should show 17.5 in vat. How can I manipulate this …based on BOOKING_DATE ?

Many thanks

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

You need to join VAT on Booking Date, not on year. Unless you're very patient, I doubt you can do this with an inline load. Rather create a table with the following fields: BeginDate, EndDate, VAT. Then you can do either an intervalmatch using this table (see help file for more details) or simply a join as follows:

data:
LOAD
[BOOKING_DATE],
`GROSS_SALES`;
`GROSS_SALES`
FROM A;
VAT_table:
LOAD
BeginDate,
EndDate,