Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielle_v
Creator
Creator

Fiscal Year - Month Sort Order

Hi All,

I am trying to put together a chart to show sales volumes by month for the current and previous year. I am working to a fiscal calendar which runs from May-Apr.

My issue is the sort order of the months, as I obviously want these to match the fiscal year May-Apr. I have tried sorting by the following expression

match(Cal_Month, 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', 'Dec', 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr')

However, this gives me the following result;

Capture.PNG.png

Not a clue why this is doing this, and how to get the months to correctly sort from May-Apr!

Any help much appreciated!

6 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Danielle

You should be able to do it with DUAL function. Just make sure to keep the default sort order

Lukasz

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can make a calculated dimension.

IF( match(Cal_Month, 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', 'Dec', 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr'),Cal_Month)

danielle_v
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Lukasz,

Thanks for your reply!

I have just tried your suggestion and this works when no Year selections are made. However, as soon as I select a year from my calendar, the order of the months changes back to the order shown in my original post.

I wasn't aware of the Dual function though, so definitely something that I will be able to make use of!

danielle_v
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply!

Just tried your suggestion too, and still March is showing as the first month.

All very strange, unless there's something I've missed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do use this method though I use it as my last effort.

------------------------------------------------

// Load a dummy table to establish

// sort order for field "Cal_Month".

MonthSort:

LOAD * INLINE [

Cal_Month

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan

Mar

Apr

]

;

Load  All Other Tables;

Drop Table MonthSort;

------------------------------------------------

Then you can sort your chart by Load Order.

Not applicable

Hi,

Results in the chart are an aggregation, so to sort Cal_Month directly in chart you need an aggregate expression like:

avg(match(Cal_Month, 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Aug', 'Sep', 'Oct', 'Nov', 'Dec', 'Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr'))

Hope this helps