Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoWedel

Gantt Bar Chart ?

Hi,

I recently had to visualize the durations of standard activities against a limit and at the same time deliver insight into the cause of prolonged durations drilled down to the different steps each activity consists of.

As those steps run in parallel, I could not use a simple stacked Bar Chart to represent the duration of an activity.
Instead I thought about something like a Gantt/Bar Chart crossover, i.e. on a broad scale looking like an ordinary Bar Chart of activity durations while revealing the internal step sequence of each activity/bar as something like a vertical Gantt Chart when narrowing the activities down to a smaller number.

One example of what I already did looks like:

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic3.JPG

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic4.JPG

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic5.JPG

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic6.JPG

Are there any similar visualizations already done in QlikView (or any other environment for that matter)?
I would appreciate any hints oder sample applications.

thanks

regards

Marco

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Very inventive! I haven't seen anything like this before in Qlikview (or Qlik Sense). Well done. Personally I find a horizontal layout easier to read. So I'd only change the orientation setting.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
MarcoWedel
Author

Hi Gysbert,

thanks for your reply.

I guess you are right about having time on the horizontal axis being more intuitive, so I changed this setting:

QlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic8.JPGQlikCommunity_Gantt_Bar_Chart_Pic7.JPG

thanks

Marco

marcus_sommer

Hi Marco,

as an alternatively I could imagine a table-chart with a heat map like: The-great-heat-chart but with a much higher resolution maybe with 10 x 100 cells as one bar which meant that the widths and heights are very small maybe 1 - 2 pixel and within it you colors your sub-bars.

I'm not sure that these small cells and the needed logic of coloring them are better/easier as your present approach but it might be worth to try. Here another link which might be useful for this topic: How-to-create-a-Gantt-chart-using-a-Pivot-table

- Marcus