Qlik Community

QlikView Documents

Documents for QlikView related information.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

The great heat chart

christianlaurit
Contributor II

The great heat chart

The attached heat graph is one that I tend to use often and it is always much aTemperature chart.pngppreciated in its simplicity. When it comes to getting an overview over many products/customers/markets etc over time it tends be clear when several other types of graphs quickly gets cluttered. Simply scrolling down the rows, even when you have many rows, will give you a good picture of what is going on in terms of e.g. customer activity, usage patterns etc.

Here are a few areas where I have found it useful to include the graph; Spotting competitor market activities in different countries. It is very easy to see where someone has entered or ceased their activities. Another are is to understand usage of different services (originally the purpose of the picture to the right). A third is to monitor changed procurement patterns among customers. Of course these are just some examples to fuel your inspiration.

How to do it? It is quite simple. It is a variant of a pivot table. Blank spaces are assigned as values in the expression, then the background colour shows the value. If you need it to keep blank periods when only selecting one line, you need to fill in missing values with 0 for that dimension in the script. Seldom necessary though as value comes from watching a large number of values, rather than a selected few.

The QVD is attached. I hope it will prove useful for you!

Christian

Attachments
Comments
MVP
MVP

Thanks for sharing.....

bumin
Contributor II

nice view

Not applicable

Nice Article, thanks

As a business user, after looking into the heat chart, most of the time user wanted to check Top/ Bottom 10 sales, so it would be good to have a toggle so that user can shift from Heat chart to Top/ bottom chart …

christianlaurit
Contributor II

Thanks all! Yes, Nagaraj, Selecting only the top or bottom performers is sometimes it is a valid requirement depending on context and application. One quick way to implement this is to make two copies of the chart in the same location as the original. Use dimension limits in two of them to display top 10 and bottom 10. Display only one of the charts at a time using "Show Conditional" and a field you create that contains the values Top, Bottom and All. /Christian

Not applicable

ChristianLauritzen

I did not understand how color changes.

Could you help me in this regard ?

Regards,

Btx

christianlaurit
Contributor II

Gladly.

It is dependent on the variable ANTAL. The higher value, the darker colour. Primarily it is interesting to see if there is any activity at all, hence colour for that period. However, we get a richer story if we also can see how much activity there was, hence the depth of colour.

Technically? The value in the background colour property changes. Every value calculated is as a proportion to the highest cell value in the graph.

if(max(ANTAL)>0,ARGB(50+205*sum(ANTAL)/max(total aggr(sum(ANTAL), PERIOD, KUND))

,0,81,0)

,0)

First, I check if there is any activity at all. If so, I add colour depth, starting at 50 to not get too light cells when there is very little activity. Would be hard to distinguish from no activity otherwise.

Not applicable

Thank you.

I got it. J

Regards,

Sahas N Ullur

Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 3:42 PM

To: Sahas Ullur

Subject: Re: - The great heat chart

<http://community.qlik.com/> QlikCommunity

The great heat chart

new comment by Christian <http://community.qlik.com/people/ChristianLauritzen?et=watches.email.document_comment> Lauritzen View <http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-5725?et=watches.email.document_comment#comment-13035> all comments on this document

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎01-17-2014 09:15 AM
Updated by: