Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Get container index and show/hide text object based on it

I have a container with three line charts. Also I have a text object.

I am trying to hide/show text object when container index is 2 or 3, assuming that container index starts from 1. When container index is

1, text object always remains hidden.

So from text object properties, in design tab, I want to set a condition to show/hide object based on container index but I do not know how to get container index.

I know it is possible to get container index using a macro, like explained here:

Container Object,Selected Index Change

but I do not want to use macros. I want to use a variable (ShowTextObject), that is, if container index is 2 or 3, the this variable is set to 1, otherwise (if container index is 1), this variable gets 0. So I show text object based on the following condition:

=ShowTextObject=1

So when container index changes, how to set variable ShowTextObject to 0 or 1 accordingly?

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

but I do not know how to get container index.

You can't without using a macro. Try doing without the container and show/hide the objects (those you now have in a container) using variables and actions as  well as the text box. You could even create an inline table with one field that you can use in a listbox as a kind of menu.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Is it possible to set the variable on line chart selection? I cannot see any place to set an action on chart selection. I am using QlikView 11. So if it was possible I would set the variable to 0 or 1 depending on the chart selected.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, objects do not have an OnActivate event trigger. What you can do instead is use another kind of trigger to show/hide both the chart and the text box. That can be a field trigger or a variable trigger. Or an action assigned to a button or text box.

Not applicable
Author

Yes, but I need to hide/show only the text object if two of three charts are selected...

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Then enable the text box not just for one chart, but for the two or three charts.

Or
MVP
MVP

Tony,

Consider replacing the container entirely:

Instead of the container's chart selections, have three text objects, one for each object. When clicked, each will trigger a variable to a different value (e.g. 1, 2, 3).

For each chart, display it only if the variable is 1, 2, or 3 as appropriate.

This approach is a little more clunky to manage, but it is significantly more robust insofar as both layout options and the ability to change other settings when a specific object is selected.