Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siddharthsoam
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

How can i apply loops in qliksense

vdzvdf

I want to use loops in qliksense. Is it possible? If yes can please explain with an example.

6 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes - loops in many ways can be used in Qlik Sense.

Could you be more specific? It will be very time consuming guessing and making explanations of many very different approaches for different purposes. Be specific about what you aim to achieve by using "loops" - there might be alternative and better approaches too.

Is it loops within a load script?

Is it loops in some way in the UI in a kind of expression?

siddharthsoam
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Hi Petter,

I am not trying to look for a solution. I just want to learn how to use them in a variable at front end just for research purposes.

Thanks

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Take a look here: Create ‒ Qlik Sense and explore the different functionalities for the expressions you can use in a chart.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It's in not very often that you need to do looping in the front-end in a variable... When creating BI-solutions in QlikView or Qlik Sense....

You can use the two functions called ValueList() and ValueLoop().

ValueLoop(1,5) will give you the numbers 1 to 5 iteratively.

For example if you have a calculated dimension based on ValueLoop(1,5) you can have an expression referring to that dimension so it will work:

In a straight table you can have:

1) Dimension:   ValueLoop(1,5)

2) Expression:  ValueLoop(1,5)*ValueLoop(1,5)

this will give a table of 5 rows with the expression column having the values 1,4,9,16,25.

"Looping" or iterations can also be achieved by using Concat() function. Concat will create a string consisting of all the values of a field. So it is iterating or looping over all the values of the fields and generating a result that can contain all these values.

Concat( Country , '/' ) will give you a slash separated list of country names.

Concat(DISTINC Country, ',', Country) will give you a comma separated list of distinct/unique country names ordered by Contry (alphabetically).

siddharthsoam
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Can we use a variable in a loop. For example if I have a variable x as 1. I want it to have successive values upon an event like selection of date. Can we achieve that in Qlik?

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes - what kind of table or visualization do you have in mind?

How would you like the values to be presented and how would the values be related to the event?