Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

How can we get QV.exe to use more CPU?

Hi all,

I am loading an optimized QVD file of 2.3M records and using CrossTable() to get a tall thin version (130 columns to 40).  During the CrossTable() part of the process I get CPU usage like the attached image (approx 20% of most cores). How do I get the process to use all available CPU power?  Nothing else is going on with the server - it should be dedicated to this load process.

Thanks,

Jason

13 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

OK - thank you Henric

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Henric,

I am just curious:

Assuming a CROSSTABLE prefix on a simple load with no other transformations, how should this scale on multiple CPU's?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason

I'll defer to the views of hic and swuehl as they are far more knowledgeable than I.

Best Regards,     Bill

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

@ swuehl: The Load statement is multi-threaded like I described above. The Crosstable prefix however, causes a second pass through the read table - a pass which is single threaded. So during this phase of the script run the CPU usage should be down at 1/32, i.e. 3%.

@ Bill Markham : The data transfer may still be a major bottleneck, so I wouldn't count your theory out.

HIC