Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vamshi87
Contributor II
Contributor II

How do I exclude/delete records in a fact table based on a value in another table?

Fact Table:

Order#AmountOrderStatus
1100FIRM
2200CANCELLED
3300DELETED

DeleteOrderStatus:

OrderStatus
CANCELLED
DELETED

Desired Output in Fact Table:

Order#AmountOrderStatus
1100FIRM

After loading the Fact table, I would like to delete records that have certain OrderStatus that are in 'DeleteOrderStatus' table. Using KEEP/INNER JOIN, I was able to include certain records. Is there a way I can exclude certain records based on another table?

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can use the Exists() function in a WHERE clause:

Filter:

LOAD OrderStatus as Status2Exclude

FROM DeleteOrderStatus;

Facts:

LOAD * FROM FactTable

WHERE NOT EXISTS(Status2Exclude, OrderStatus);

michal__
Contributor III
Contributor III

Exists() is the way to go!

Additionally, if you want to keep your load optimized (if qvd is your source), dont't rename OrderStatus field and use:

where not Exists(OrderStatus). It is faster.

ychaitanya
Creator III
Creator III

As Stefan mentioned where not exists() would be the ideal one to handle this . Please let us know if that didn't  work

vamshi87
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

It worked. Thank you Stefan and Raviteja.

Is there any reason why the field name in the filter was changed? The reason I am asking is when I tried to use the same field name twice as below, the filter did not work properly. Could you please explain why the below ocde does not work?

Filter:

LOAD OrderStatus

FROM DeleteOrderStatus;

Facts:

LOAD * FROM FactTable

WHERE NOT EXISTS(OrderStatus, OrderStatus);

ychaitanya
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Vamshi , NOT EXISTS(OrderStatus, OrderStatus); Compares values of Field(1st in arguments) from Current table from the already available field (2nd in the arguments)in the memory..

you could try just where not exists(OrderStatus) if incase you want to use only same field.

Please mark Helpful or Answered so that it helps for the community.

Thanks

CY

vamshi87
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Raviteja for the clarification.

ychaitanya
Creator III
Creator III

Please mark as Answered to close the thread.. Have a great day.

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

When using

WHERE NOT EXISTS(OrderStatus);

instead of the two argument version, you won't get all requested records if OrderStatus is not a primary key (which I assume it is not).

In other words, as soon as your LOAD encountered the first record with OrderStatus FIRM, FIRM is part of the symbols that the exists() function checks the upcoming record values against. Hence, no other records with OrderStatus FIRM will pass the WHERE clause and will be loaded to the resident output table.

I guess that's what you see when you are mentioning that this approach 'will not work properly', right?

vamshi87
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Stefan and Chaitanya!