Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to create a user selectable "measure" in a chart?

Much like in an excel pivot table I'd like to allow the user to be able to select what measures are added in a chart.

For example, I might have a chart based on time that the user can select to show "dollars or qty" or really any other aggregate measure. Is it possible to do this so the entire page is driven off of this user selection?

Thanks,

Dan

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

The easiest way to allow a user to specify the unit of measure or similar thing is to have the user select a value for a variable through an input box or select a value for a special field that is set up for the purpose. See this article for an idea how to do it: http://qlikviewmaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/user-option-done-as-field-selection.html

Another possibilities are to show or hide expression columns based on a user selection so the expressions that are shown are based on the users choice.

Something that allows a lot of flexibility in the appearance of a chart is to have two or more charts that occupy the same space on the sheet. Then, specify a show condition for each chart so that only one of them appears at a time. Make the show expression depend on a variable value or field value or day of the week or user name, etc. Then one chart might show dollar value and a different chart might show tons of product and another chart might show consumption of pollution credits, etc. A similar thing is to have two or more sheets/tabs set up with a show condition so that only one of the sheets is visible at a time. That way the expessions and charts are more simple and the special show expression only exists in the sheet properties.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking for. But attached is a way of having the user select what dimensions and expressions are shown in a chart, in case it's relevant.

Edit: Or maybe you're looking for an expression group? On the expressions tab, you can group expressions together, and then select which one you want.