Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neil-devlin
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to get current filename in filelist loop

Hi I'm trying to get the filename of the current file im on in my Filelist loop and store that as a variable, is this possible? Filename() just returns a NULL value. I also need to extract the Filetime from the file too to store it as a variable.

Example code:

SET SalesFactFiles = $(vSourceDataFilePath)qvd\aggregated\monthly\*2021_salesfact.qvd;

FOR EACH FILE IN FILELIST('$(SalesFactFiles)')

LET Weeklyname = FileName($(File));
LET SalesfactTime = FileTime($(File));

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Neil

You're doing the right thing, just need to ensure correct capitalisation and wrap the dollar sign expansion in quotes:

LET Weeklyname = FileName('$(FILE)');
LET SalesfactTime = FileTime('$(FILE)');

Pi

View solution in original post

PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

@neil-devlin  FILE will just be the name of the file - so no need to wrap it in a formula:

LET Weeklyname = '$(FILE)';

This will return it with the full path, so yes, start from here and use a string function to parse it (hint: use"subfield" with a '/' delimiter 😉 )

Pi

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Neil

You're doing the right thing, just need to ensure correct capitalisation and wrap the dollar sign expansion in quotes:

LET Weeklyname = FileName('$(FILE)');
LET SalesfactTime = FileTime('$(FILE)');

Pi

PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Just to elaborate  - you were almost there with FileName() - except this is used within a LOAD statement to get the name of the currently loaded table.

I use it when I am doing a pull directly from a wildcarded filname:

LOAD

A,

B,

FileName() AS NameOfFile

FROM [../../Data/QVD/MyFile_2020*.QVD] (QVD);

Pi

avinashelite

You can't use Filename() function outside the load statement, first load it in to a field and then you could use it  to assign  to variable 

neil-devlin
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for this Pi, this worked brilliant for FileTime but still returns NULL for FileName unfortunately, assume this can only be used in a LOAD statement as you've said? Is there any function to get the name of the current file in this instance outside of using  something like 'Right('$(FILE)', count)' ?

Neil

PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

@neil-devlin  FILE will just be the name of the file - so no need to wrap it in a formula:

LET Weeklyname = '$(FILE)';

This will return it with the full path, so yes, start from here and use a string function to parse it (hint: use"subfield" with a '/' delimiter 😉 )

Pi

neil-devlin
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the help Pi! Have my script doing what I need it to now 😁. The subfield hint was very much appreciated!

Neil

PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Great to hear!