Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to limit only data points visible on x-axis in a chart and not limit the data

I have a line chart where I am bringing in data for 3 months. Date is shown on x-axis , I dont want all the 3 months dates to show up instead show dates for every first day of the week to limit the number of data points appearing on x-axis and make it look less crowded.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I assume you don't just want to use a weekstart dimension, which will also limit the data points plotted, not only the dimension values shown. Then try maybe something like I've shown here

Re: Scale in X axis showing dash for no value

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can try to configure the x-axis as Continuous (in the Axis tab) and let QlikView determine how many labels can fit nicely in the allowed space.

Or, you can play with the Scale settings (also in the Axis tab) and use Static Step = 7 to force one label per week. not sure that you can guarantee the beginning of the week though. Maybe if you calculate the Static Min setting dynamically, as the first week start within the available data.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Check out my new book QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView an...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I assume you don't just want to use a weekstart dimension, which will also limit the data points plotted, not only the dimension values shown. Then try maybe something like I've shown here

Re: Scale in X axis showing dash for no value

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Try:

if(weekday(YourField)='Mon',YourField) as WeekStart

in your script .

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Make an expression that shows the date for your week start and blank for all other dates, a simple IF like Robert's statement above should suffice.  Then:

• For it untick Line and tick Text on Axis
  • For your Dimension untick Show Legend.

Having done that you may well not see it, so do:

• <Ctrl><Shift> and drag the red line at the bottom of the line chart rectangle upwards to make it visible.
Not applicable
Author

Thank you, the reply on the linkwas very helpful. Exactly what i was looking for.