Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gshockxcc
Creator
Creator

How to load multiple xls files in script

Hi,

I am VERY new to Qlikview, and I don't fully understand all of the scripting functions.  So I'm really struggling to understand how to load multiple xls files.  I did quite a bit of searching here, and I have only been able to find this link that is somewhat relevant.  When I copy that code into my script editor, I get errors that I don't know how to debug. 

I have loaded a single table, so I am somewhat familiar with how to build the script  But I don't know how to do this for all files in a directory. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

40 Replies
gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

The original files are already in CSV format, each with the tab named according to the file name.  I had written a macro to open the files and "Save As" in both XLS and XLSM formats, each only has a single tab.

Thanks,

-Kristan

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

I tried the ODBC connection for a single Excel file, and none of the tags load.  Because the original data is in .CSV format, it seems like the only means to load it is through brute force.  No?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

CSV files do not have sheet names - there is no where for the sheet name to be stored.

It will be Excel adding the sheet name when the import macro runs.  You can save yourself a bit of pain with the macro and Excel formats simply by loading the CSVs.

I've blogged on a neat way of speeding up loads from multiple CSVs, if you search for "convert drop folder files to qvd" you should find it.

Steve

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

Steve,

That was brilliant.  Cheers.  I successfully imported the full month of April's data.  When the column headings came in as Fields, there showed up as @1, @2, @3, ... etc.  How do you change these?

Thanks much for all your help.  This is a great start.

-Kristan     

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Kristan,

Glad you are making steps forward.  You can simply rename columns with an AS statement, as follows:

LOAD

@1 as [STG1_Inlet_Steam_Flow],

@2 as [STG1_kW],

@3 as [STG1_Steam_Press],

@4 as [STG1_Steam_Temp],

etc...

- Steve

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

I am trying to re-start this with a new set of data, and I'm getting an error when Debugging my script.  I don't understand why.

Picture1.png

My qvw file is attached.  Thanks in advance.

This could possibly be the most frustrating piece of software I have ever used, AND the most powerful.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The two commented out lines look like they will cause an error.  Either uncomment them or also comment the two preceding lines of code.

What that error message is telling you is that there is no table called Data.  My best guess would be that no CSV files were found so there was nothing to write.

Suggest that you use the Debug feature in the Script Editor to step through each line of script and see if any files do match the criteria.

To bullet proof the load you could put the following IF statement around the store:

if(Alt(NoOfRows('Data'), 0) > 0 then

store Data into File.qvd (qvd);

end if

Hope that helps.

Steve

gshockxcc
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for the help.  I got rid of the error, but now I'm getting a new error for loading each of the .csv files.  The files were there, but for some reason it won't load with the statement:

..\UMass\STG1_2013\*.csv

I have to put the full path in the script. 

But then I get this error.

Picture1.png

The error is repeated for each of the 369 .csv files I have in the folder.

Thanks,

-Kristan

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Kristan,

In the file you sent me the following lines were commented out:

//now() as DateLoaded

//AUTOGENERATE(1)

Those will be required for the STORE statement to work.

Steve

rojaraoqlik
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

load * from (ooxml, embedded labels, table is sheet1);