Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III

How to start organise the following scenario?

1. There is a physical Machine - known by a number of different names - it also has a unique number.

2.     The physical Machine - exists in a physical location - known by a number of different names: for example: city, EM, Melb, East Melb,E Melb

3.      The physical machine - has a number of modes of working. Mode1, Mode2, Mode3, Mode4 - and those modes can be categorised as SuperMode1, which cosists of Mode1 and Mode2 and SuperMode 2 which consists of Mode3 and Mode4.

The system I am trying to implement will take values from:

Database1 - this only has the physical location and the superMode and the date and a couple of values.

Database2 - this has the physical Machine, with Mode1, Mode2, Mode3 - and the date and a couple of values.

Spreadsheet 1 - this has location and one mode only and a date and a couple of values.

So do I create a spreadsheet -with all machines, modes, alternative names etc?

Do I create 3 separate spreadsheets - a.machines and all alternative names b. location will all alternative names, c. modes with all althernative names

Tried Trial and error - almost worked.

Looked up incremental loads - that worked well

tried to understand the Date/Data Island - but I think I need to fix the spreadsheet/spreadsheets first.

Ideally I see it as - values from the Databases and spreadsheet - being able to be diced by location, Machine, Mode.

Thank you

Jo

10 Replies
josephinetedesc
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Swuehl - well this is what I did and it all seems to be working ... I need to check.  I can live with the synthetic fields.

I'm not sure that logically I would have thought of this ... I have done a left join between machine, calendar and one of the tables.  Thank  you for your help.  It has certainly been an interesting exercise I even used ApplyMap.

Capture1.PNG