Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neena123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Is the IE plugin going away at some point and will there be a plugin for Ajax Client?

Hello!

I know Microsoft will no longer be supporting IE so does that mean the IE plugin will go away? Will there be something created similar for Ajax? 

Thanks!

Labels (4)
2 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Neena, there are a couple of things to understand, the Ajax and IE Plugin client are two distinctly different clients.  The Ajax client is 'headless', based upon Ajax and JavaScript calls, whereas the IE Plugin client is an ActiveX control based upon the same engine that runs in the Desktop Client, and it normally connects directly to the QlikView Server via TCP port 4747, so it is a true client-server technology in that regard, whereas with Ajax, the server is doing most of the actual processing of request/responses, all that is really going back and forth for the most part are mouse click info and screen views.  Hopefully that helps you understand that part of things.

Regarding continued support for IE Plugin, this really depends upon Microsoft, as they will have to take it upon themselves to include ActiveX control support in another browser in order for things to continue, if they do not take that decision, then when they stop supporting Internet Explorer, we will have no choice but to end of life things as well.  I have emailed product management to see if they can provide any further information, but I wanted to get you something in the meantime.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Please note that @Brett_Bleess' comment, while up-to-date at the moment it was posted, is now outdated when it comes to the support part, as Microsoft has brought IE-mode to Edge, as detailed in the following 3 articles: 

It is still true that support for the plugin "really depends upon Microsoft". As long as they support this IE-mode, the plugin will be supported. There is no plan to bring the plugin to Edge native or any other browser, since the technology the plug-in is based on won't be there.

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.