Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a resource which will describe the full development cycle of a QlikView application ?

Hi,

I'm trying to find a resource (document, paper, book etc) which describes in some detail the stages involved in building a QlikView application. Say, from Proof of Concept through Design and Development to Implementation.

I have a copy of QlikView 11 For Developers, which is excellent but it only really covers the design and development aspects of the life cycle. It would be useful to read up on requirements gathering, KPIs, testing, implantation.

Thanks

MV

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Do not get confused. The question for a full development cycle is asking for a deductive method or model. BI is not a method nor model. A large number of BI projects are actually managed like well described IT projects for system integration. System integration methodologies are provided and one can quickly integrate a BI System as “promised” – but not BI. Until this is not understood, complete QlikView teams are replaced three times on three maturity levels due to a lack of Consistency, Management Support, Strategy, Governance, whatever. The project stoppers are all rooted on non-technological factors, making management support the number one we wish to have. However, managers are tightly managed and even the CEO cannot affirm the project when its value is not known. Governance is not only a set of formalized rules, but extends to our values, assumptions, believes, and expectations. Thus, BI diffuses through the organization until it reaches competency to produce information centric processes. After you describe me your QlikView integration (no client details), I can will show you the strategic elements that form a common language. A common language will enable the business side to focus on the strategy and with that you open the doors (governance) through seeing is believing (SID). This is complex and depending on the maturity level, I can give you good advice.

We have to clear many misconceptions like for example the term “fact based” decision. Even though it sounds pervasive, it is a “rear view” mirror term that does not enable you to drive forward. Accordingly, in maturity levels 1-3 you actually look back and think problem focused. You will not reach levels 4-5 until your team is looking forward using intuition. This requires an innovation culture (DNA) and innovation will get you out of the problematic level 3 when managers hire consultants to meet sky high expectations in no time.

Just spin me a call on Skype: david.richard.zh or email david.richard@live.com and I will get back with you. Or keep monitoring www.qlikamerica.com where I intend publish a true BI model after the review at the end of the quarter. I will deliver my well-researched model that has not existed before to get your BI project out of the mud after calls for consistency, management support, strategy, and governance have deflated expectations to a shaky level.