Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II

LOAD QVD results in General Script Error

I've been at this for two days, looking for solution and trying many different suggestions.  Can't get this to work.

Setup:  I have a QVW where I build a straight table.  This table has one dimension and 8 expressions, varying from simple formulas to PV, Rate and PMT formulas, all rounded to 4 decimal places.  I then take this chart table and export it to QVD. 

Issue:  When I try to load the QVD into another QVW, it gives me a General Script Error.  However, if I go back into the QVW (that generates the QVD), filter the records down and then re-create the QVD, I can then load the QVD successfully.  It's starts to fail when I get above 1500 records or so.  The entire QVD has 2500 records, which should be simple.

I can typically figure these things out using the Qlik Community posts, but not having luck with this one.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hey Joseph,

I googled about this a bit and only thing i found was the number 5 at the end instead of 4.

obj.ExportEx  QVDFile, 5

Can you give it a try with it too.

Though if the qvd is accessed from one QVW, it must also do for all.

Also since it 2500 rows, can you try

First 2500

LOAD * FROM QVDFile;

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Joseph,

Is there any chance that the RAM or CPU is so high during the reload that the file can result damaged or corrupted? At a first sight, 2500 rows is very little for QlikView. Another option is that you might be running out of hard disk space, or that the file is being locked by the antivirus or backup software, in which case, try doing the STORE with a different name.

Miguel

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hello, the RAM/CPU/Disk space are fine.  I'm unfamiliar with the STORE.  Here is how I create the QVD (module attached to button):

sub ExpQVD

QVDFile = "T:\General\Data Strategy Group\Sensitivity\Qlikview\RefiSensitivity.qvd"

set obj = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH16")

obj.ExportEx QVDFile, 4

End Sub

Just strange that it works for a subset of the table, but not entire population.

Any other thoughts?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Wow,

Yes, that should work. But it's a long time since I last used macros to export to QVD, and that might be the issue. As long as your chart is already in the data model, I'd rather do an STORE in the script, that's the way you should create and write QVD files.

Table:

LOAD *

FROM Whatever.Source;

STORE Table INTO File.qvd (qvd);

Macros are less supported by Windows with every version Microsoft releases and their performance issues are well known, so the less used, the better.

Miguel

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

The reason I need the macro is to export the Straight Table (CH16) into QVD.  This table is all expressions.  The next step would be allowing user to modify variable so expressions update in the application.  Then, the user can export the chart to QVD, re-import it and filter/chart results.

This is why I want to set this up in this manner.

Any thoughts?  I have a log file being generated with each reload.

Not applicable

Hey Joseph,

I googled about this a bit and only thing i found was the number 5 at the end instead of 4.

obj.ExportEx  QVDFile, 5

Can you give it a try with it too.

Though if the qvd is accessed from one QVW, it must also do for all.

Also since it 2500 rows, can you try

First 2500

LOAD * FROM QVDFile;

Not applicable

Hi Joseph!

Have you tried to export your table as a CSV as a debugging option?

Maybe this could help to locate the error...

sub ExpCSV

QVDFile = "T:\General\Data Strategy Group\Sensitivity\Qlikview\RefiSensitivity.csv"

set obj = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH16")

obj.ExportEx QVDFile, 1,,","

End Sub

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Angad, I don't know why, but changing to "obj.ExportEx QVDFile, 5" instead of the 4 worked!  Now I can import all records back into my QVW.  Any chance you could send me the page where you got this suggestion?

Thanks so much for this tip.  Very frustrating that Qlik does not provide more details around the general script error.

I will be moving ahead with my development.  Hopefully I won't run into any more issues.

Thanks again.

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for the reply Ruben.  I will keep this suggestion close by.  Angad's suggestion above worked.  Not sure why, but it worked.  I will keep this post updated if anything comes up.  I will also dabble around with your suggestions to see how that works too.

Much appreciated.

Not applicable

Hey Joseph,

I found that in http://www.beeye.org/?p=131158

Hope that helps and if you like it, please mark it as helpful/correct.

Thanks,

Angad