Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Language translation for a single column in source data

Hi All,

I have a data source with only 1 column in German( column name and column values in German) while all the other columns and data are in english.

I have a separate data dictionary file with mapping translation values for the data in German.

How do i translate the data in German into english using qlikview.

Example:

Source data file:

A     B     C       Column_GR

1    abc   10    <Germanword1>

2    aba   20    <Germanword2>

3    abs   30    <Germanword1>

4    gbx   10    <Germanword3>

5    fbz    40    <Germanword2>

Data Dictionary

Column_FR              Column_EN                 Column_ENDescription

<Germanword1>        <English word1>          Description of the word1

<Germanword2>         <English word2>          Description of the word2

<Germanword3>         <English word3>          Description of the word3

Required result:

A     B     C       Column_GR              Column_EN                Column_ENDescription

1    abc   10    <Germanword1>         <English word1>            Description of the word1

2    aba   20    <Germanword2>         <English word2>            Description of the word2

3    abs   30    <Germanword1>         <English word1>            Description of the word1

4    gbx   10    <Germanword3>         <English word3>           Description of the word3

5    fbz    40    <Germanword2>         <English word2>           Description of the word2

Am i correct in saying that join has to be used? If yes, please guide me on how it has to be done. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You could simply use two mappings. Mapping is usually very fast so that's no problem to apply several mappings at the same time. Alternatively you could merge those fields like: Field1 & '|' & Field2 as FieldMatching and then use a subfield-function around the applymap to split it again:

subfield(applymap('Maptable', Field), '|', 1) as Field1,

subfield(applymap('Maptable', Field), '|', 2) as Field2

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

A (left) join is a possible solution but you need to be careful not to duplicate records or filter them out (by inner). An alternatively is mapping, see: Mapping … and not the geographical kind

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your reply. Mapping table is a good idea. But the problem i face is mapping table can accept only 2 columns while my data dictionary has 3 columns.

So is it advisable to create as 2 mapping tables? one with Column_FR , Column_EN  and the other with Column_FR, Column_ENDescription ... where Column_FR can be the lookup field (also present in source data file) ??

marcus_sommer

You could simply use two mappings. Mapping is usually very fast so that's no problem to apply several mappings at the same time. Alternatively you could merge those fields like: Field1 & '|' & Field2 as FieldMatching and then use a subfield-function around the applymap to split it again:

subfield(applymap('Maptable', Field), '|', 1) as Field1,

subfield(applymap('Maptable', Field), '|', 2) as Field2

- Marcus

Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

I would go the same way as Marcus on this. I used them al the time. Just a little more information.

I would approach as below

Table1:

Load

From 'Your file'

Map1:

Mapping Load 1

Column_FR,

Column_EN

Resident Table1;

Map2:

Mapping Load 1

Column_FR,

Column_ENDescription

Resident Table1;

Drop Table Table1;

Then apply the maps in the needed table.

Mark

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for additional information. It helps!