Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesmf1982
Contributor III
Contributor III

Locking a specific dimension

Hi,

I have put a chart together with a number of dimensions, e.g. employee number, employee name (This is a join from Employee Forename and Surname) and a count of the number of visits they have completed.

As the employee name is a join of two other fields, when I click on the name it puts the forename and surname as two separate selections in the current selections box which is a bit frustrating. I have searched for a way stop the user from clicking on a single dimension and have seen that locking a field is an option. I am not sure how to lock a certain field / dimension down. Can anyone help?

Thanks

James

9 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I think the easiest solution to get a ReadOnly dimension column in an object, and just there and nowhere else, is to superimpose a transparent text box (without caption, borders or shadows) over this specific dimension area. That text box should be placed on a hugher layer than the object underneath it. In that way, the text box will capture all mouse clicks and throw them away.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

Is your [Employee Name] a single field

Could you post here your dimension?

heij1421
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Instead of joining the 2 fields in your application, you can also add it to your load script:

LOAD *,

[Forname] & ' ' & [Surname] as [Employee name]

FROM Employees;

And the use the [Employee name] within your chart

jamesmf1982
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have this for the Employee Name

=EmployeeForename & ' ' & EmployeeSurname

jamesmf1982
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I will give this a go!

jamesmf1982
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

How can I put a read only parameter on the dimension?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can't. The trick I suggested blocks selections in your Calculated Dimension in your table object. Which is an easy one to avoid the selections you described and the creation of new script fields

jamesmf1982
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ahh I see what you mean, sorry misread the original message.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

I would concatenate them at script level as heij1421‌ suggested