Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Long load times - can't replicate

Hi All,

I have a load script that deals with large amounts of data.  It runs weekly for an incremental load process.

Recently, it has been taking an extremely long time to load.  I have analysed the logs and found the points in the process that are taking the longest and I'm trying to replicate them in isolation by manually reloading certain parts in a stand-alone QVW.

One step in particular takes 1day 1hour 28mins.  This simply reads a large QVD with minimal changes then does an inner join with another QVD.  I have loaded the first QVD which took only 38mins using the same portion of code.  Then I thought perhaps the time related to the inner join, so I ran this in isolation also and that took a total of 42 mins using the same code as the main script.  So obviously there is something else at play here.

The regular reload is kicked off using command-line (qlikview /r xx.qvw).

Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour before?  My understanding is that synthetic keys aren't built until the end of a load process, so that is not the problem because all tables are dropped once dealt with and stored out.  I've also made sure I hadn't set up any regular processes that might be having an impact on resources.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

GPC

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

My guess would be that the join (or joins) are the cause. Joining tables can be resource intensive and will take longer the more records and tables are involved.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Thanks for your response.  However, I have replicated the same join in isolation of the full ETL process and it takes only 42 mins as opposed to 1 day 1 hour 28 mins.  So I'm completely confused!

G

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Did you monitor the ram usage of the server? If it runs out of physical ram and needs to use the page file it will slow down to a crawl. Running only the part of the script that involves the join may not hit that limit. If the app has already loaded a lot of data and then needs to join tables it may hit that limit.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Good idea - I'll set up a performance monitor log and see if I can see anything going on.

sasiparupudi1
Master III
Master III

hi Gareth

Have you managed to find a solution to your problem? if yes, could you please explain?

Sasi